This guide provides instructions on how to check the engine coolant level and add antifreeze to Nissan vehicles.
If your Nissan is overheating, the temperature gauge has moved to hot. Pull over as soon as it is safe, and follow the instructions below to check the coolant level.
How to Check/Add Engine Coolant
What you will need
- NISSAN Antifreeze Coolant
- Nissan’s engine cooling system is filled at the factory with a pre-diluted mixture of 50% Genuine Antifreeze (blue) and 50% water.
- Most Nissan vehicles use blue coolant.
- Park your Nissan safely and allow the engine to cool down.
- Locate the hood release underneath the dashboard on the driver’s side. Pull the lever until you hear the Nissan hood pop open. Next, you need to release the hood safety latch at the front of your Nissan.
- Locate the coolant overflow reservoir tank. Location of engine coolant reservoir on a Nissan Sentra
Location of the engine coolant reservoir on a Nissan
- Look at the coolant reservoir tank’s side and note the low and high levels.
- If the level is below the minimum mark, you will need to add coolant. Remove the coolant reservoir cap and add engine coolant.
- Add engine coolant/antifreeze. Only add the recommended Nissan coolant.
Do not continue to operate your Nissan Quest if the engine is overheating or the high engine temperature light comes on in your Nissan.
Access Factory Repair Manuals
The YOUCANIC Pro Manuals offer OEM Factory Repair Manuals with detailed steps and illustrations, comprehensive wiring diagrams, torque specifications, and access to technical service bulletins and OEM service information, mirroring dealership manuals.
Can I add coolant directly to the radiator?
It is possible to add engine coolant to the radiator when completely cool. It would be best to be extremely careful when opening the radiator cap. The coolant must have cooled down, or you will risk being burnt.
We hope you find the Nissan Check Engine Coolant Level & Add Antifreeze guide helpful. Check these troubleshooting and repair guides for more help on your Nissan.