Is your Chevrolet oil pressure light on, engine performance got weaker, and you hear a burning oil smell or engine overheating? The oil level on your Chevrolet may be low. Learn how to fix these problems by simply following the procedures below.
If the oil level is low, add engine oil as soon as possible to avoid engine damage. If you continue to lose oil, have the vehicle diagnosed by a mechanic. Do not drive with the oil light on, or you risk causing major damage to the engine.
- Park the Chevrolet on a level surface and apply the parking brakes.
- Turn off the engine and wait for at least five minutes before checking the engine oil level on your Chevrolet. This will allow the engine oil to return to your vehicle’s oil pan.
- Open the hood by pulling the hood release under the dashboard, driver’s side.
- Locate the oil dipstick on the engine.
- Remove the dipstick by pulling it up.
- Use a clean cloth to wipe off any oil that may still be on the dipstick. Note the hatched part of the dipstick. MIN level is at the bottom of the hatched. MAX level is at the top of the hatched part. The oil level needs to be between the MIN and MAX.
- Insert the dipstick into the same tube to check the engine oil level on your Chevrolet. The level must be between the min and max mark we saw earlier. If the engine oil level is below the min mark, you need to add engine oil to your vehicle. Follow the instructions as described in the next step. If the level is significantly above the FULL mark, you need to remove oil from the engine. If the engine oil level is below the MIN mark, continue to the next step.
- Locate the oil filler cap and determine the recommended engine oil grade. For example, 5W-20. Unscrew the cap by turning it counterclockwise. The cap may be tight.
- Add the recommended grade engine oil. Add only half a quart at a time and check the level consistently. Add more engine oil if the oil level is still under the MIN mark. Add 0.5-1 qt of oil at a time and recheck the oil level.
Don’t overfill the engine with oil above the MAX mark on the dipstick. Overfilling the engine with oil can cause problems or damage the Chevrolet catalytic converter(s).
We hope you find this “Chevrolet Check Level & Add Engine Oil” guide helpful. Check these troubleshooting and repair guides for more help.