Have problems with your Chevrolet hood that won’t stay up and closes as soon you open it? Learn how to fix it by replacing the hood strut of your Chevrolet.
Changing the hood lift support on Chevy vehicles is easy and takes about 20 minutes.
Symptoms of worn hood struts include:
Access Factory Repair Manuals
The YOUCANIC Pro Manuals offer OEM Factory Repair Manuals with detailed steps and illustrations, comprehensive wiring diagrams, torque specifications, and access to technical service bulletins and OEM service information, mirroring dealership manuals.
- The Chevy hood won’t stay up,
- The hood stays open for a few seconds, then shuts.
- The hood won’t stay open by itself anymore.
- Hood closes automatically
What you will need
- Chevrolet Hood Lift Support
- Flat Screwdriver
- Helper to keep Chevrolet hood open.
- Open the hood of your Chevrolet. The hood latch release is located under the dashboard on the driver’s side.
- Have a friend hold up the hood of your Chevrolet. If the hood falls while changing the hood lifts on your Chevrolet, you can get seriously injured.
- Locate the hood struts that need to be replaced.
- Locate the joint that connects the hood strut to the frame.
- Use a flat screwdriver to pry out the clip that locks the hood strut in place.
- Once the clip is pulled out, you can remove the hood strut from the lower ball joint.
- Follow the same procedure for the end that connects to the hood.
- Install the new hood support in reverse order. Repeat this procedure for the second hood strut if your Chevrolet is equipped with two.
Note that this guide does not apply to prop rod models. This guide applies to Chevy vehicles with gas hood struts found on models such as Chevy Spark, Sonic, Bolt, Volt, Cruze, Malibu, Impala, Camaro, Corvette, City Express, Trax, Equinox, Traverse, Tahoe, Suburban, Colorado, Silverado, Sonic, Blazer, Astro, HHR, Uplander, Avalanche, etc.
We hope you find this “Fix Chevy Hood that Won’t Stay Up” guide helpful. Check these troubleshooting and repair guides for more help on your Chevrolet vehicle.