If you own a convertible vehicle, it is important that you maintain it regularly. Follow the procedures below to know the maintenance tips to keep your convertible vehicle great.
Convertible Top Maintenance Tips
- Lubricate your convertible top joints, hinges, and cables using lithium grease.
- Avoid taking your convertible into high-pressure car washes. It is recommended to hand wash a convertible car. High pressured water may get past the weatherstrips and come in contact with convertible top components such as switches and limit lift cylinders. Over time corrosion may develop, and convertible top malfunctions may develop. Water may also make it into the interior of the vehicle.
- Don’t open the convertible top if the top is wet. Make sure the fabric is dry before lowering it into the storage compartment.
- Do not operate the convertible top if the temperate is below 0°F (-18°C).
- Do not operate the convertible top while moving. Even if your soft or hard top can go up and down when the vehicle moves, don’t do it. You can’t operate the top in most convertibles unless the vehicle is in Park. Some Audi, BMW, Mercedes, and Lexus convertibles can be operated at slow speeds.
- Only drive with the convertible either completely open or closed and locked.
- Ensure no items in the trunk will hit the convertible top when it is lowered.
- Don’t operate the top when there is ice or snow.
- Do not push items too far into the trunk. Especially when the top is lowered into its storage area in the trunk.
- Operating the convertible top-up and down with the engine turned off may drain the car battery. If you operate the convertible top several times with the engine off, your car battery will drain, and you won’t be able to start the car.
- Only use the recommended hydraulic fluid type to top off the convertible top reservoir. The hydraulic fluid is used in most convertibles.
How to clean a convertible top?
Spray the convertible top with hose water. Don’t use high pressure. Gently scrub the fabric with a soft brush. Rinse thoroughly with running water. It is recommended to use a convertible top protectant such as 303 Fabric Guard, which can protect the fabric, increase water resistance, and help to maintain the convertible top fabric color.
Don’t use bleach, citrus, or petroleum-based products on your fabric or vinyl convertible top. Always wear your seat belt when operating a convertible. This has nothing to do with maintenance, but it is a safety reminder.
Remember that the convertible top does not provide much protection. You can get seriously injured or ejected from the vehicle, even during minor accidents. Follow these ten convertible top maintenance tips to keep your top looking its best and last longer. Proper cleaning and maintenance are important to keep your vinyl or cloth top in the best condition.
We hope you find the Convertible Top Maintenance Tips guide helpful. Check these troubleshooting and repair guides for more help on your vehicle.
Have questions about your car? Get assistance in our newly launched forum section. We’re here to provide support!