In this article, you will find step-by-step instructions and video clips on how to replace the clock spring on a Honda Civic.
In this guide, you will find instructions on how to change the automatic transmission fluid level on Honda equipped with the CVT transmission.
What you will need
- Honda CVT Transmission fluid ( 4 quarts)
- Vehicle ramps
- Jack stands
- Wheel chocks
- Torque wrench
- Drain pan
- Oil funnel (long)
- 3/8" Ratchet wrench
- Drive your Honda up on car ramps. Secure the rear wheel with wheel chocks. Place the car in Park and set the parking brake.
- Remove splash shield from under the engine. It is held in place with four Philips screws. Remove the plastic right below the transmission.
- Remove the drain bolt with a 3/8 ratchet. Allow the transmission fluid to fully drain.
- Replace the washer on the drain bolt and wipe it clean before installation.
- Reinstall the drain bolt and tighten it to 35 ft-lb.
- Remove the 17mm bolt on the side of the transmission housing. This is where you will check the transmission fluid level if your Honda does not have a dipstick. When transmission fluid starts to drip out of this hole the level is full.
- Remove the fill plug located at the top of the automatic transmission housing. This is a black plug with a hook at the end.
- Add the recommended Honda automatic transmission fluid until it starts to drip at the check hole.
- Remove the funnel and reinstall the cap for the filler hole. Install the 17mm bolt on the side of the transmission housing.
- Start the engine, check for any issues/leaks, and drive it for 15 minutes to bring it to normal operating temperature.
- Recheck the automatic transmission fluid level via the check hole. There should a small amount of automatic transmission fluid dripping from the hole when you remove the 17mm bolt. If there is no transmission fluid dripping from the check hole, top off until you see transmission fluid dripping from the check hole.
- Drain bolt: 35 ft-lb.
- When you drain the transmission pan and refill, you are only changing about 40% of the transmission fluid.
- Check transmission fluid level at operating temperature with the engine off. Car on level ground.
Guide and pictures are from a 2015 Honda Civic but owners of other Honda vehicles with CVT transmission such as Fit, Freed, HR-V, Mobilio, Jazz, Insight will also find these instructions helpful.