Need to manually release the shifter of your Kia Forte out from the park? This guide is a step-by-step procedure for releasing the gear from the park and shifting it to neutral on a Kia Forte 2018-2022. Only carry this procedure if the vehicle is parked on level ground.
What you will need
- Flathead Screwdriver
- Place wheel chocks at the front and rear tires to prevent the vehicle from rolling off.
- Unlock the vehicle and go to the driver’s seat. If the battery is dead, use the emergency key in your key fob to unlock the driver’s door.
- Apply the parking brake and press the brake pedal. Keep the brake pedal pressed at all times.
- Remove the cover on the top of the P writing on the gear shifter. Use a flathead screwdriver to pop the cover out.
- Push the release button inside the hole of the cover using a screwdriver.
- Move the gear shift to the neutral position while pushing the button.
- Once you release the parking and brake pedal, the vehicle can be pushed around since it is now in neutral.
That’s it. Getting the shifter out of par is very easy. Be careful because once the shifter is out of Park, the vehicle may roll away if parked on an incline.
We hope you find the Kia Forte Manually Release Shifter Out of Park guide helpful. Check these troubleshooting and repair guides for more help on your Kia.
Have questions about your car? Get assistance in our newly launched forum section. We’re here to provide support!