Need to change the engine oil and oil filter on your Kia Forte? This guide is a step-by-step procedure for changing engine oil and replacing the oil filter on a Kia Forte 2018-2022 equipped with the 2.0L 4-cylinder engine.
What you will need
SaleBestseller No. 1
SaleBestseller No. 1
- Kia Forte Oil Filter
- Engine Oil (SAE 5W-20)
- 4.5 L or 4.8 quarts
- Full synthetic
- Grade: ILSAC GF-4, API SL, ACEA A3
- Oil Pan
- Mechanic Metric Toolset
- 17mm Wrench
- Oil Filter Plier
- Jack Stand
- Floor Jack
- Open the hood. Pull the hood release under the dashboard.
- Locate the hood latch on the vehicle’s front and press the tab to the left to unlock it.
- Pull the hood up and set the hood strut to hold the hood.
- Remove the oil cap and pull the oil dipstick out from the engine.
- Place the vehicle on wheel chocks or jack up the vehicle and support it with jack stands.
- Remove the bolts and push clips on the engine splash shield. Then pull the splash shield out of the vehicle.
- Locate the oil drain plug under the engine of the vehicle.
- Place the oil pan below the oil drain plug. Make sure that the oil pan has enough space to hold the oil.
- Loosen the oil drain plug using a 17mm wrench. Turn the wrench counterclockwise to loosen the oil drain plug.
- Remove the oil drain plug by hand and let the oil flow out of the oil pan. It may take up to 10 minutes.
- Replace the copper washer on the oil drain plug.
- Reinstall the oil drain plug and tighten it by turning it clockwise. Tighten the oil drain plug to proper torque specification. See torque specs at the end of the guide.
- Wipe the oil drain plug clean.
- Locate the oil filter at the front of the oil drain pan.
- Move the oil pan directly under the oil filter.
- Loosen the oil filter by turning it counterclockwise using an oil filter plier.
- Remove the oil filter by hand.
- Wipe the installation port of the oil filter using an oil absorbent cloth.
- Line up the new oil filter and turn it clockwise to tighten. Tighten the oil filter to the correct torque specification. See below.
- Add engine oil into the vehicle, and use a funnel to prevent the oil from spilling. The engine can hold 3.7 – 4.5 Liters.
- Add 4 liters or quarts first, then remove the dipstick and check the oil level. Add more oil as needed to bring it to the correct level. Since oil may remain inside the engine, you will typically only need up to about 4.3 quarts.
- Oil filter: 15 Nm or hand tight
- Oil drain plug: 40 Nm
We hope you find the 2018+ Kia Forte Engine Oil & Filter Change DIY guide helpful. Check these troubleshooting and repair guides for more help on your Kia.