Have trouble with the vibrations of your Mercedes-Benz? Learn how to fix it by replacing the Driveshaft CV joint of your vehicle.
A common symptom of failed driveshaft joints is vibrations that can be noticed at speeds as low as thirty mph or higher.
What you will need
- CV joint grease
- Snap Ring Pliers
- Torque Wrench
- Car Ramps
- Jack Stands
- Mechanic Toolset Metric
- Use ramps to raise the vehicle. Use jack stands to secure the vehicle.
- Use an 8mm socket and ratchet wrench to remove the bottom splash shields from under the engine.
- Remove the bolts that hold the joint connected to the differential and transfer case.
- Remove the driveshaft if the driveshaft does not disconnect spray penetrating oil at the joint. Use a flat head screwdriver to pry the cv joint out.
- Pull out the driveshaft.
- Remove the snap ring.
- Slide-out the old cv joint.
- Remove the boot and either clean it or replace it if it is cracked.
- Install the boot and fill it with grease.
- Slide the new CV joint. Install the snap ring.
- Add grease to the CV joint.
- Place the cap on top and line up the boot, cv joint, and cap. Use a zip tie to keep them all together.
- Install the driveshaft on the vehicle. Replace the bolts if they are aluminum. Torque the bolts to approximately 40 Nm or as recommended by the manufacturer.
Replacing a driveshaft cv joint takes about two to four hours. It requires the removal of the driveshaft from the vehicle. Disassembly of the cv joint and installation of the cv joint.
While it is possible to replace the cv joint only as shown in this guide, your dealer may recommend the replacement of the driveshaft, which comes with new cv joints. The driveshaft does not fail as frequently, and replacing the drive shaft is unnecessary in many cases.
Replacing only the propeller shaft cv joint is cost-effective as well. Replacing the drive shaft can cost over $1000 while replacing just the cv joints costs between $300-$500.
We hope you find the Mercedes Driveshaft CV Joint Replacement guide helpful. Check these troubleshooting and repair guides for more help on your Mercedes vehicle.