Need to replace the clock spring/combination switch of your Mitsubishi Mirage? Learn how to remove and install the new clock spring of your Mitsubishi Mirage by following the procedures below. This guide provides instructions on how to replace the combination switch clock spring on the Mitsubishi Mirage G4.
What you will need
- Flat Screwdriver
- Socket wrench
- Allen wrench
- 10mm wrench
- Combination switch
- Open the hood and disconnect the negative terminal of the battery. Losen the 10mm bolt on the battery’s terminals and pull them away from the battery.
- Push the horn for a few seconds and wait five minutes before continuing to the next step.
- Locate the holes behind the steering wheel and put the Allen wrench or screwdriver horizontally. To pop out the airbag, push the Allen wrench or screwdriver to the hole to detach the airbag from the steering wheel. Note that there are two holes on each side of the steering wheel. One of the wholes has a screw for the buttons. Do not remove the screws for the buttons.
- Next, disconnect the clips connected to the back of the airbag. The plastic piece at the center of the connectors must be pulled out first, and then you can disconnect the wires from the airbag.
- Remove the 17mm bolt that secures the steering column. Please have a friend hold the steering wheel to prevent it from turning as you loosen the 17mm nut.
- Use a marker to mark the steering column and steering wheel before removal. This will allow you to reinstall the steering wheel in the exact location.
- Disconnect the electrical wires connected to the steering wheel and remove the steering wheel from the steering column.
- Remove the screws below the plastic trim and pull them up to remove them from the steering column.
- Unlock the clips above and below the clockspring using a flat screwdriver and disconnect the cables. Pull up the green tab to unlock the airbag cable and press the clip out of the clock spring. Then, carry the clock spring out of the steering column.
- Disconnect the clip connected to the combination switch.
- Unlock the connectors behind the combination switch and pull the switch from the steering column. Use pliers to release the C clip behind the combination switch, as shown in the photo below.
- Install the new combination switch to the steering wheel column. Please press the clip behind the combination switch and line it up to the steering wheel column. Then, push it into place and connect the electrical connectors.
- Push the new clockspring into place and reconnect the cables connected to it. Then put the green tab back to lock the airbag clip-in.
- Align the plastic trim and push them back together. Then reinstall the screw below it.
- Position the cables onto the steering wheel and put the steering wheel back in the steering column. Make sure the marks you did previously match. If they don’t, the steering wheel will be off-center when driving. Then, reinstall the 17mm nut onto the steering wheel column.
- Push the airbag to the steering wheel to lock it back to the steering wheel.
Airbag Light On
If the airbag light is on after you have replaced the clock spring, you can use the YOUCANIC Full System Scanner to clear the stored codes on your vehicle. This scanner can also read and clear fault codes through every vehicle’s control module.
We hope you find the Combination Switch Clock Spring Replacement Mitsubishi Mirage guide helpful. Check these troubleshooting and repair guides for more help on your Mitsubishi.
Access Factory Repair Manuals
The YOUCANIC Pro Manuals offer OEM Factory Repair Manuals with detailed steps and illustrations, comprehensive wiring diagrams, torque specifications, and access to technical service bulletins and OEM service information, mirroring dealership manuals.