Is your Mitsubishi engine air filter dirty and needs to be replaced? Learn how to replace your engine air filter by following the procedures below. This guide provides instructions on removing the airbox and replacing the air filter on a 2019 Mitsubishi Outlander. This repair is simple.
Follow our step-by-step instructions, and you can save time and money by doing it yourself. You can also watch the video for an in-depth visual tutorial that shows you everything you need to know.
What you will need
- Flathead Screwdriver
- 10mm socket and ratchet
- Replacement air filter for a 2019 Mitsubishi Outlander
Follow these steps to change the engine air filter on the Mitsubishi Outlander:
- Start by opening the hood. Look for the airbox on the driver’s side of the vehicle.
- Remove the two plastic retainers holding the air inlet to the radiator support. Pry them up with a flathead screwdriver or trim tool and pull them out.
- Push the air inlet up until it pops off the airbox.
- Loosen and remove the 10mm bolt on the right side holding the bottom of the airbox.
- Loosen the hose clamp around the air filter box neck near the mass airflow sensor. Use a 10mm socket and ratchet or a flathead screwdriver.
- Remove the plastic fastener from the side of the airbox holding the mass airflow wiring. Simply squeeze the part that is pushed through the airbox hole and push it back out of the hole it is in.
- Remove the mass airflow sensor by pushing down the plastic tab on the back of it and pulling it off the sensor. If needed, use a small flathead screwdriver to carefully pry the connector off by lifting the front of the plastic tab over the protruding part of the sensor that keeps the tab locked in place. Move the wiring and connector out of the way.
- Pull the vacuum hose off on the left rear of the airbox by hand.
- Pull the airbox straight up. It has a plastic peg on the right rear that pops into a rubber grommet on the body of the vehicle that it will pop out. Pull the airbox out of the hose connected to the elbow with the mass airflow sensor in it.
- Here you can remove the air filter from the box by unlocking the metal tabs and pulling the side with the mass airflow sensor up and out. The two pieces will separate; be sure to align the two tabs on the bottom into their holes when putting it back together.
- Reverse the procedure to reinstall the airbox; you are all done!
How often should I change the engine air filter on a Mitsubishi Outlander?
Changing the engine air filter every 20,000 miles or every other tire rotation is recommended. If you don’t know when it was last changed, it might be a good idea to do it yourself. If it has been a while, you can visually check the filter. Over time, dirt and debris build up on the filter. You should write down your maintenance somewhere you can keep track of it, such as in your owner’s manual.
Do I need to take the airbox off to change the filter?
This specific model is difficult to open the airbox on, so the filter can be changed. It is best just to take the time to take the airbox out. Also, the air filter will sit in a good position, and the airbox will be sealed properly when the engine is put back together. However, some of Mitsubishi’s different models have been made to change the filter more easily.
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, and 2021
We hope you find the Mitsubishi Outlander Engine Air Filter Replacement guide helpful. Check these troubleshooting and repair guides for more help on your Mitsubishi.
Have questions about your car? Get assistance in our newly launched forum section. We’re here to provide support!