Need to open the hood of your Volkswagen to check the engine bay? Learn how to open the hood by following the procedures below.
These guidelines will help you open the hood on various Volkswagen models, including Jetta, Passat, Golf, GLI, Rabbit, Bettle, Tiguan, Routan, etc.
- Park the vehicle and turn off the ignition. Move the shifter to the Park and set the parking brakes.
- Locate the hood release under the dashboard and pull it. You should hear the hood pop up.
- Go to the front of the vehicle. The hood should be popped up about one inch ( two-three cm ). If not, try lifting the hood slightly.
- Press the hood latch release and lift the hood.
- Secure the hood with a prop rod if your car has one included. If your Volkswagen has hood struts, the hood will stay up on its own.
The hood on a Volkswagen may need to be opened for several reasons, such as to check fluids, change fluids, replace engine components, etc. These instructions will help you open the hood on VW Jetta, Passat, Golf, Bettle, GLI, Rabbit, Tiguan, Routan, etc. This is a simple yet very important task practically needed to know when owning any vehicle.
VW Hood Stuck, Won’t Open.
The Volkswagen hood could be stuck closed for several reasons. Typically a VW hood won’t open because the cable is broken, has come off the hood release, or the hood is misaligned due to an accident.
First, check that the hood cable has not come off the hood release under the dashboard. If the Volkswagen hood is stuck closed, have a friend push down the hood at the center, right above the Volkswagen logo. While your friend keeps the hood pushed down, you should pull the hood release lever under the dashboard and keep the lever pulled.
As you keep the lever pulled, ask your friend to try to remove the hands from the top of the hood and try to open the hood.
If the Volkswagen hood doesn’t open, the hood latch may be stuck; the cable may have come off the hood release or the hood latch.
What if my hood latch is broken?
You may need to open the hood through the front grill or from the bottom. An OEM hood latch can be purchased online for your vehicle as indicated by your local dealership.
What if my hood is stuck closed due to an accident?
After a collision or accident, a certified and professional body shop should have the necessary tools to complete the task of opening the stuck closed hood.
We hope you find the Open Volkswagen Hood guide helpful. Check these troubleshooting and repair guides for more help on your Volkswagen.