Does the windshield washer symbol appear on your Volkswagen dashboard? Learn how to fix the problem by adding windshield washer fluid to your Volkswagen.
This guide provides instructions on how to add a windshield washer to any Volkswagen vehicle, including Jetta, Passat, Bora, Bettle, Golf, Routan, Tiguan, etc.
For this step, a windshield washer fluid is needed. Using just water is not recommended.
Bestseller No. 1
- Park your Volkswagen on level ground.
- Turn off the ignition and set the parking brakes.
- Pull the hood release under the dashboard and open the hood. If you need help with this step or your hood won’t open, see our guide on How to open the VW hood.
- Go to the front of the vehicle, release the hood latch, and lift the hood. Secure the hood with the hood rod or ensure the hood stays up on its own.
- Locate the windshield washer reservoir. Lift up the cap.
- Add windshield washer fluid until the level is two inches below the minimum.
Can I put water in my windshield wiper fluid?
- Not recommended. When you use water instead of windshield washer fluid — you risk calcium deposit buildup, mold growing in warm weather, ice damaging the washer fluid pump, lines, and reservoir itself can crack in cold weather when water is used.
- Do not use engine antifreeze either.
How much washer fluid do you put in?
- Pour the windshield washer fluid directly into the reservoir through the opening. Usually, one gallon should fill up the whole reservoir. You can fill the VW windshield fluid reservoir all the way up to the cap, and stop two inches ( five cm) below the cap.
How do I know my VW windshield fluid level is low?
- The windshield washer fluid low level stays on constantly and does not turn off when starting the car.
How often should you add windshield washer fluid?
- The windshield washer fluid level should be checked and added when empty or at every service interval.
We hope you find the Volkswagen Add Windshield Washer Fluid guide helpful. Check these troubleshooting and repair guides for more help on your Volkswagen.