This guide provides instructions on replacing the hood lift support on BMW 3-Series E90, E91, E92, and E93. Change hood supports if the hood on your 3-series will no longer stay up.
What you will need
- BMW 3-Series Hood Lift Support
- Flat Screwdriver
- A friend to support your BMW hood.
- Open the hood of your BMW 3-Series. The hood latch release is located under the dashboard on the driver’s side.
- Locate hood struts. Here is the location of the hood struts that need to be replaced.
- Secure the hood open. Have a friend hold up the hood of your BMW. If the hood falls while changing the hood lifts on your BMW 3-Series, you can get seriously injured.
- Locate the clip that locks the BMW hood support locks to the joint.
- Remove the C clip. Use a flat screwdriver to pry out the clip that locks the hood strut in place.
- Disconnect the other end. Follow the same procedure for the other end.
- Install the new hood support in reverse order.
- Replace the other side.
- You are done replacing one of the gas hood supports on your BMW 3-series. Repeat this procedure for the other side.
Over time hood struts weaken and no longer will support your BMW hood.
This guide applies to the 3-Series from 2004-2013. Changing the hood lifts is easy and takes less than half an hour. Typically a new set of hood lift supports can be purchased online for under $50.
We hope you find the 2004-2013 BMW 3-Series Replace Hood Lift Support guide helpful. Check these troubleshooting and repair guides for more help on your BMW.
Have questions about your car? Get assistance in our newly launched forum section. We’re here to provide support!