Is the spark plug service reminder illuminated on your BMW dashboard? Learn how to fix it by following the procedures below.
Resetting the BMW spark plug interval is easy and can be performed using buttons on the instrument cluster. BMW spark plug service intervals can range from 35,000 to 100,000 miles.
- Insert the key into the ignition and turn the key to Position II to power the car. Do not start the engine. You must push START; press and hold the START button without pressing the brake pedal. If that doesn’t work, press the START button twice, turning on your ignition but not starting the engine.
- You will notice a BC or Check switch on the steering wheel’s left side. Press it until you see the date or clock displayed on the instrument cluster.
- Next, hold the ODO RESET button on the dashboard for at least five seconds.
- The orange triangle will show first, but as you continue to hold the ODO reset down, service symbols will be displayed on the dashboard’s center.
- To scroll to the service, you must reset and press the ODO RESET button a few times. You can also use the CHECK or UP/DOWN toggle next to the BC button on the steering wheel stalk.
- Press and hold the ODO RESET for five seconds when the spark plug symbol appears on the cluster. Under the symbol, you should see the words “RESET?”
- Release and press the ODO RESET button again and hold it until RESET. Changes to RESET or OK
- Once you reset your BMW service interval reminder, the interval will show below the spark plug symbol.
IMPORTANT: If you change the spark plug type, make sure to change the spark as recommended by the manufacturer of the spark plugs. For example, If you installed copper spark plugs with a 40k interval, but the original BMW spark plugs are platinum with a 100k mile interval, you should change your spark plugs at the 40k mile mark, not after 100k miles.
Reset BMW Spark Plug Service Reminder
An alternative method to reset the BMW spark plug service reminder is a BMW-specific OBD2 scanner that allows the user to perform a Conditional Based Service (CBS) reset. A good BMW scanner will be able to reset the BMW service light on all BMWs, including 1-series, 3-series, 5-series, 6-series, 7-series, X1, X3, X5, Z3, Z4, etc.
We hope you find the Reset BMW Spark Plug Service Reminder guide helpful. Check these troubleshooting and repair guides for more help on your BMW.
Have questions about your car? Get assistance in our newly launched forum section. We’re here to provide support!