Is your BMW service warning light on? Learn how to fix it by following the procedures below.
This is also known as BMW’s 100,000 miles service interval. Only carry this procedure after completing the recommended maintenance.
BMW Condition Based Servicing (CBS) system monitors the following:
- Front Brake Pads
- Rear Brake Pads
- Oil Service Reminder
- Microfilter (Cabin Air Filter)
- Spark Plugs
- Brake Fluid Change
BMW CBS can be reset via the instrument cluster or an OBD2 scanner capable of resetting CBS. Factory Scheduled Maintenance (FSM) is used on some BMW models instead of CBS.
Reset BMW Services via Instrument Cluster
Below you will find instructions on resetting BMW CBS services using the ODO reset button on the instrument cluster.
- Turn on the ignition by turning the key to Position II or pressing the start button. Do not press the brakes or start the engine. All dash lights will turn on.
- Press and hold the RESET button on the instrument cluster for about ten seconds.
- The screen will show a triangle, then one of the service items, such as the microfilter symbol or oil.
- Press the RESET button several times until you see the item you want to reset.
- Once the item you need to reset is shown on the cluster, press and hold the RESET button.
- After about 5 seconds, you should see Reset. or OK?
- As soon as you see one of the messages above, release the reset button, press it, and hold it for another five seconds.
- After a few seconds, the selected service will be reset.
Reset BMW CBS with a Scanner
The YOUCANIC Full System Scanner can reset all your vehicle’s control modules, including the BMW CBS.
- Plugin your scanner into the OBD-II.
- Turn on the ignition but don’t start the engine.
- Your scanner will turn on.
- Select a European car from the menu.
- Select BMW.
- Read Auto Vehicle Data.
- Select Service Functions
- Select Maintenace
- Select CBS to reset twice
- Please select any of the following CBS options to reset it.
- Engine Oil
- Spark Plugs
- Front Brake
- Rear Brake
- Brake Fluid
- Vehicle Check
- Select the reset button on the right side of the menu to carry that particular reset.
- Press Yes to confirm.
Systems monitored by CBS or FSM.
Below is a list of items you can reset via the CBS menu.
Note that the interval is based on an E60 5-Series BMW and may be different for other models.
Spark Plug Interval
Engine Oil Interval –
Front Brake Pad
Brake fluid reset
Rear Brake Pad
How did you reset the CBS service on your BMW? Use the comment section below to provide feedback or post a comment.
BMW Service Lights Explained
It reminds the driver to service their car when these items wear. You can check the CBS messages on your BMW via the iDrive display.
On your iDrive select Service Requirements, then Status. It will show the state of each component, as shown in this picture.
If your BMW needs to be serviced, you will get a message on the iDrive or instrument cluster before each component is due for servicing.
- Ensure the clock is displayed on the instrument cluster before starting the BMW CBS Reset procedure.
- The red symbol means the system has not been reset yet. When you successfully reset a BMW service, the light turns orange.
- You may need to repeat the procedure several times to reset the BMW CBS reminder.
We hope you find the Reset BMW Service Warning Light| CBS | FSM guide helpful. Check these troubleshooting and repair guides for more help on your BMW.
Have questions about your car? Get assistance in our newly launched forum section. We’re here to provide support!