This tutorial’s video clips and procedures were recorded with a 2017 Nissan Quest. These instructions should also help owners of Nissan Versa, Altima, Maxima, Rogue, Murano, and Titan replace the turn signal and wiper switch easier.
If the combination switch fails on your Nissan, you will notice one or more of the following problems.
- Nissan Turn Signals don’t work
- The wiper does not work
- Turn signal does not cancel
- Low or High stalk does not work
What you will need
- Nissan Combination Switch
- Mechanic Toolset Metric
- Torque Wrench
- Breaker Bar
- Secure Torx Set
- Park the Nissan and set the parking brake. Remove the key from the ignition of your Nissan.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable from the battery terminal.
- Remove Torx bolts on the side of the steering wheel. You will need to use a secure Torx bit with a hole in the center.
- Unplug the wires from the back of the driver’s airbag. Watch the video on how to remove the Nissan airbag.
- Remove the center bolt that secures the Nissan steering wheel to the steering column. Mark the steering wheel and column before you remove the steering wheel.
- Unplug the steering wheel button wire harness. Watch the video on how to remove the Nissan steering wheel.
- Remove the plastic trim.
- Next, you need to remove the clock spring, which is held in place with several screws.
- Unplug the wires from the clock spring.
- In this case, the clock spring and the Nissan steering angle sensor are integrated.
- Remove the combination switch, which has the turn signal and wiper stack
- Install the new Nissan spiral cable/clock spring. The clock spring needs to be installed in the neutral position. Don’t wind it up to the left or right. The clock spring has a limited number of turns. If you turn it to one side, the ribbon can’t take more steering wheel turns, or it may get damaged shortly after installation.
Install a new Nissan clock spring/spiral cable/steering angle sensor.
- Install the Nissan steering column cover.
- Install the plastic cover before you install the steering wheel.
- Install the steering wheel and torque the center bolt to 35Nm.
- Install the airbag. Connect the steering wheel and airbag wires. Torque the bolts that secure the airbag to approximately 8-10Nm.
- Rember to reconnect the negative battery terminal. Ensure the airbag light is off. Test the horn and the steering wheel button operation.
We hope you find the Nissan Turn Signal & Wiper Switch Replacement Guide helpful. Check these troubleshooting and repair guides for more help on your Nissan.
Have questions about your car? Get assistance in our newly launched forum section. We’re here to provide support!