Are your Mitsubishi Outlander wiper blades noisy and can’t clean the windshield properly when switched on? Learn how to fix the problem by replacing the wiper blades of your Mitsubishi. This guide provides instructions on how to replace windshield wiper blades on a 2019 Mitsubishi Outlander. We will also discuss how to tell when the wiper blade should be replaced.
As well as finding the correct size for your vehicle! Bad wiper blades can lead to smearing or streaking of the water droplets if not maintained properly. This can be annoying and even hazardous in heavy rain conditions.
Common causes of wiper blades going bad or not functioning properly:
- Extreme hot or cold weather conditions warping the rubber blades
- Dirt and dust build-up on the rubber
- Normal wear and tear from age and use
- Dirty windshield causes an uneven surface for the blade to work
What you will need
- Flathead screwdriver
- Windshield wiper blades
- Mitsubishi Outlander:
Driver’s side – 24″ inches
Passenger’s side – 21″ inches
- Mitsubishi Outlander:
- Cloth or cardboard
- To prevent any damage to the windshield, lift the wiper arm with the wiper blade still attached and place a piece of cloth or cardboard underneath where it meets the windshield. This will prevent the windshield from cracking if the wiper arm accidentally recoils and hits the glass. The wiper arm has a spring, which keeps the wiper blade compressed against the windshield glass when wiping.
- Always be careful when handling the wiper arm, as it can easily shatter the windshield. With a small flathead screwdriver in hand, pry the back flap of the wiper blade up.
- Lift the wiper arm and angle the wiper blade down so that the part of the blade that clips into the arm can be accessed. Use a flathead screwdriver to press this clip down while pushing the wiper blade away from the J hook it is inserted into.
- With the old wiper blade out, grab the new one. It is not advised to leave the arm up at this point as it can fall and break the windshield. If you must step away from the vehicle or remove your hands from the arm to get the new blade, place the arm carefully on the glass, as shown in the video.
- To remove the back flap from its clip, use the same process you used to remove your new wiper blade. Angle the new blade so the J hook of the arm can be put around it. Put the blade into place by hand and listen for it to clip. Wiggle it back and forth to make sure it isn’t moving.
- Replace the back flap by pushing it down, and it will clip into place. Repeat on the other side, and you are done!
What size wiper blades do I need for my Outlander?
- Find out what size wiper blades you need by referring to catalogs they have in store. Alternatively, if buying online, always check the fit by filtering for your vehicle and searching with the year, make, and model of your vehicle. If unsure, you can always use a tape measure to measure the blade; sizes are measured in inches! In this case, the 2019 model uses one 24″ and one 21″ wiper blade on the front.
My wiper blades are streaking/smearing. Do I need to replace them?
- You may need to replace your wiper blades. Do a visual inspection and see if there is any dirt build-up on the blades; always check to see if the rubber of the blade has tears or warping (meaning it’s not staying straight). If it looks like it might be okay, try giving it a clean with some soap and water or rubbing alcohol and wiping the rubber part. Check to see if the windshield has any hard build-up on it, such as splattered bugs or mud, use a good glass cleaner and some elbow grease, and get rid of any high spots on the windshield. If cleaning doesn’t help, even though the blades may look good, they still may need to be replaced as the rubber degrades over time.
There are so many different kinds of wiper blades. What kind of wiper blade should I buy?
- It is hard to say; conventional is always the cheapest and get the job done. However, I have seen some of the more expensive ones last a long time and do a great job. Whatever you decide, I think either one is a good option and as long as they are kept clean it will last at least a year!
All Mitsubishi models include Galant, Lancer Evo, Outlander, Eclipse, Mirage, and more. All year models including current-gen: 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, and 2021.
We hope you find the Mitsubishi Outlander Windshield Wiper Blade Replacement guide helpful. Check these troubleshooting and repair guides for more help on your Mitsubishi.