You would turn the key one click on older BMWs, which was the position I or also known as the accessory position. In this guide, you will learn how to turn BMW accessories on (not start the engine) if your car has START/STOP.
The procedure to turn the BMW ignition on is straightforward.
BMW has Automatic Transmission
- Get into the car.
- Do not press the brake pedal.
- Press the Start/Stop button. Twice if necessary.
- Ignition will turn on; the engine will not start.
BMW has Manual Transmission
- Get into the car
- Do not press the clutch pedal.
- Press the Start/Stop button
- BMW ignition will turn on will not start.
Make sure to not keep the ignition on for a long time as it could drain the battery. This will cause your BMW battery to die, and you won™t be able to start the car without jump-starting it.
If you plan on keeping the ignition on for more than 10 minutes, such as for diagnostics, etc., connect a battery trickle charger to the jump terminals under the hood.
Avoid radio, heating, and other accessories when the ignition is on, and the car is not running.