Can’t unlock your Volkswagen due to a dead key fob battery? Learn how to fix it by replacing the key fob battery. Follow the procedures below.
The most common battery size used on VW key fobs is a CR2032 Battery. Always open up the old key fob and verify the battery size. Below you will find a how-to video and instructions on replacing the battery on one of the most popular Volkswagen key fobs.
This remote was used on many VW models, including VW Jetta, Golf, GTI, EOS, CC, and Beetle, from 1999 to 2011. The buttons on this remote wear out over time. It is possible to change the shell of this key; see the link below.
- Press the round button and flip the metal key.
- Use a flathead screwdriver to split the key in half.
- Put the half with the metal key to the side.
- Use a small screwdriver to open the bottom half of the key.
- Remove the cover from the case. The battery is installed on the back cover.
- Remove the battery from the case. Note the orientation of the positive side of the battery.
- Install the new battery. Make sure the positive (+) symbol is facing the back cover.
- Press the back cover unto the shell.
- Press the two parts of the key together.
Battery Size: CR1632
In this section, you will find instructions on replacing the battery on the older Volkswagen key used on models such as Jetta and Golf.
- Use a flathead screwdriver to pry open the key shell.
- Separate the VW key shell into two parts.
- Remove the old battery from the circuit board.
- Install the new battery making sure the + symbol is on the same side as the original.
- Align the two halves of the key together and close them.
Battery Size: CR2032
Below you will find instructions on replacing the battery on the Proximity Key Fob used on vehicles such as VW Passat B, CC, and other models between 2003 and 2011. This VW key has a built-in transponder chip. It has three buttons and an internal removable battery.
- Press the release button by the chrome part to remove the emergency metal key.
- Remove the emergency key from the key fob.
- Press the release button again and remove the chrome part from the key fob.
- Use a flathead screwdriver to pry the shell at the exposed end.
- Remove the upper half of the key fob case. This will expose the battery.
- Use a small screwdriver to pry out the old battery.
- Slide the new battery in place and press it down. Ensure the positive side is facing up.
- Once you have installed a new battery, close the case by pressing the two halves together.
- Install the chrome part and the emergency on the keyfob.
Battery Size: CR2032 Battery
Chrysler built Volkswagen Routan, sold in the US. The remote for the Routan is a Chrysler remote. Below you will find a video on how to change the battery on Volkswagen Routan.
- Flip the key over so that the backside is facing you.
- Use a small flathead screwdriver and pry off the back cover.
- Use the screwdriver again to pry off the battery.
- Install the new battery and back cover.
We hope you find the VW Key Fob Battery Replacement guide helpful. Check these troubleshooting and repair guides for more help on your Volkswagen.
Have questions about your car? Get assistance in our newly launched forum section. We’re here to provide support!