Can’t unlock or lock your Audi vehicle because of a dead key fob battery? Learn how to replace it by following the procedures below.
You will get a warning on your dashboard that displays a key and battery symbol on the newer Audis. To fix these problems, change the battery on your Audi key fob.
Changing Audi Key Fob Battery
How to change the battery on an Audi key fob
- Use a flat screwdriver to separate the case into two halves.
- The battery inside the case does NOT have the flip metal key.
- Use the screwdriver again to separate the shell.
- Remove the CR1620 button cell. Pay attention to the positive side.
- Press the new battery in the housing.
- Press the shell together until you hear it snap.
- Press the two halves together, and you are done changing it.
- If the lock/unlock feature does not work after changing the battery, insert the key into the driver’s door. Turn it to the lock and unlock position to make the car recognize your key fob. Remove it from the door and press unlock.
Battery Size: CR1620 (ONE)
Access Factory Repair Manuals
The YOUCANIC Pro Manuals offer OEM Factory Repair Manuals with detailed steps and illustrations, comprehensive wiring diagrams, torque specifications, and access to technical service bulletins and OEM service information, mirroring dealership manuals.
How to change the battery on the Audi smart keyless entry remote?
This key fob has been used in many Audi cars since 2008, including A, Q, R, S, and TT models. If your battery is too weak or dead, it will prevent you from starting the car using the Start/Stop button.
- Use your thumb to press on the release found in the chrome part of the key.
- Pull the metal key blade from the shell.
- Press the exposed plastic and pull it out of the shell with your thumb.
- Remove the battery. Pay attention to the positive side.
- Install a new battery. The positive should be facing the plastic side.
- Press the holder and the metal key into the shell.
Battery Size: CR2032 (One)
Audi Remote Battery Replacement
- Flip the metal key open.
- Use a small screwdriver to press the back cover of the key.
- Pry out the back cover at the end of the keyfob.
- The battery is inserted into the back cover. Pry it out and pay attention to the orientation of the positive side of the battery.
- Press the new battery on the back cover.
- Press the back cover.
Battery Size: CR2032 (ONE)
Over the years, Audi has come out with a few different key designs. These instructions were written to help owners change the key fob battery on Audi models such as the A3, S3, RS3, A4, S4, A5, S5, A6, S6, A7, S7, RS7, A8, S8, Q3, Q5, SQ5, Q7, TT, and R8.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does the dealer need to program the key?
No. It will work; no programming is required after changing the battery. If it does not work after you change the battery, try the following:
Open the Audi using the metal key. Next, press the unlock button on the remote. Enter the vehicle and insert the key into the ignition. Lastly, remove the key from the ignition.
If the key synchronization procedure does not work, open the key and make sure the ositive (+) side is on the correct side.
Can I change the shell of the Audi key fob?
Yes. If your Audi key fob is damaged or the shell is broken, you can consider replacing just the shell. New Audi key shells can be purchased online.
Is the Audi key battery rechargeable?
No. Audi does NOT use rechargeable batteries in their key fobs. It is okay to use a rechargeable type. Remember to remove and charge it or replace it once it dies.
My Audi key does not work after changing the battery.
Open the key again and ensure the battery is installed correctly. Check if the positive (+) side is installed on the required side.
We hope you find the Replace Audi Key Fob Battery guide helpful. Check these troubleshooting and repair guides for more help on your Audi.