Is there a warning on your dashboard that shows the temperature light and says: “Check Coolant! See owner’s manual”? Learn how to fix it by following the procedures below. Do not ignore the engine coolant warning on an Audi or drive with the light on.
- Do not open the radiator or coolant expansion cap when the engine is hot.
- Allow the engine to cool down.
What you will need
- Audi Engine Coolant
- Only use the Audi-recommended engine coolant listed in your owner’s manual. Typically it is VW G13 or G12 engine coolant.
- It is not recommended to use a store-bought coolant. It may not meet the specifications of an Audi cooling system.
- If you decide to use a store-bought coolant, flush the system with the correct coolant as soon as possible.
- Audi /VW coolant comes in a concentrated form.
- Dilute the coolant with distilled water 50/50.
- Park your Audi on level ground and set the parking brakes.
- Allow the engine to cool down. Once the engine has cooled down, you can proceed by opening the hood.
- Pull the lever until you hear the hood pop open. Next, you need to release the hood safety latch at the front of the car.
- Locate the translucent engine coolant expansion reservoir. Audi Engine Coolant Reservoir
- Look at the side to determine the current level.
- Slowly remove the cap if the level is low by turning it counterclockwise. Do not remove the cap if the engine is hot.
- Add engine coolant to bring the level between the MIN and MAX marks. Only add the recommended Audi coolant type mixed at 50 % antifreeze and 50% distilled water.
These instructions apply to Audi A3, S3, RS3, A4, S4, A5, S5, A6, S6, A7, S7, RS7, A8, S8, Q3, Q5, SQ5, Q7, TT, R8. Losing coolant frequently can be a sign of a serious problem. Get your Audi diagnosed by a local automotive mechanic as soon as possible.
Frequently Asked Questions
What color is the Audi engine coolant?
Audi engine coolant is typically pink. VW G12 coolant specification is pink.
What is the recommended coolant/water ratio for Audi?
Mix Audi engine coolant with distilled water at a 50/50 ratio on all USA models. Mix at a 60/40 ratio for all Canadian models.
What to do if your Audi engine coolant light comes on?
Check the engine coolant level. The problem may occur if the level is correct due to a bad coolant level sensor.
Common symptoms that low coolant levels could cause include:
- Engine Overheating
- The temperature gauge is in the HIGH range,
- Check Coolant Warning,
- Low Engine Coolant Message
We hope you found this guide, “Audi Overheating – Check Engine Coolant Level & Add Antifreeze,” helpful. Check these troubleshooting and repair guides for more help on your vehicle.