This article provides guidelines on replacing the serpentine belt on the Nissan V6 engine. The step-by-step guide below applies to Nissan and Infiniti cars with the 3.5L engine manufactured since 2000.
If your Nissan is equipped with a four-cylinder engine, watch the video below to learn how to change the serpentine belt.
- Squealing noise from the engine
- Power Steering or AC not working
- Engine Overheating
- Cracks or wear on the drive belt
- Squeaks at startup or when turning the steering wheel
What you will need
- Nissan Poly-V Serpentine Belt
- 10mm socket
- 3/8″ Ratchet wrench
- Park the Nissan. Set the parking brakes. Allow the Nissan engine to cool down.
- Open the hood of the Nissan. Look at the frame or under the hood for the serpentine belt routing diagram. It is often printed on a sticker found on the fan shroud.
- Locate the serpentine belt tensioner on the Nissan. Move the tensioner away to release pressure from the belt. Take a few pictures of the old belt before removal if you need to look at the belt routing later.
- Release Tensioner. Use a 3/8″ ratchet to push the tensioner away(up) from the belt. Either remove the passenger wheel or drive the car on ramps to get to the tensioner. This will allow removing the plastic cover on the wheel well to access the tensioner.
Install the new belt on your Nissan by ensuring it is routed as per the belt routing diagram.
The last step is to slide the belt under the tensioner. Before you do that, check that the belt is seated correctly on all the pulleys, or you will have difficulty sliding the new belt over the tensioner.
Typical applications include:
- Infiniti QX60 (since 2014)
- Nissan Altima (since 2002)
- Nissan Maxima (since 2002)
- Nissan Murano Z50 (since 2003)
- Nissan Pathfinder (since 2013)
- Nissan Quest (since 2004)
- Nissan 350Z (2003-2006)
- Nissan Pathfinder (2001-2004)
- Infiniti FX35 (2003-2008)
- Infiniti G35 Coupe (2003-2007)
- Infiniti G35 Sedan (2003-2006)
- Infiniti I35 (2002-2004)
- Infiniti JX35 (2013-2013)
- Infiniti M35 (2006-2008)
- Infiniti QX4 (2001-2004)\
We hope you find the Nissan Serpentine Drive Belt Replacement – 3.5L V6 Engine guide helpful. Check these troubleshooting and repair guides for more help on your Nissan.
Have questions about your car? Get assistance in our newly launched forum section. We’re here to provide support!