Learn how to replace the clock spring and steering angle sensor on Nissan Quest vans. This guide is a procedure for removing and installing your Nissan’s clock spring and steering angle sensor.
It is not uncommon for Nissan clock spring to fail to cause various problems. Some of the most common Nissan clock spring problems include.
- Nissan Airbag Light On
- Horn Does Not Work
- Nissan Steering Wheel Buttons don’t work
- SRS Fault Code: Driver squib circuit open or high resistance
- Typical Codes: Code B1049 and B1054
What you will need
- Clock Spring
- Secure Torx Set
- Mechanic Metric Toolset
- 19mm socket
- 3/8″ ratchet
- Torque wrench
How to change the clock spring on a Nissan
- Park your Nissan and set the parking brake. Remove the key from the ignition.
- Open the hood and disconnect the negative battery cable from the battery terminal. Wait 15 minutes.
- Press the horn twice to discharge any residual current.
- Remove Torx bolts on the side of the steering wheel. Once the bolts are loose or removed, the airbag can be removed. You will need to use a secure Torx bit with a hole in the center.
- Unplug the wires from the back of the driver’s airbag.
This common mistake causes the clock spring to fail shortly after installation.
We recorded this video series on a 2017 Nissan Quest, but these instructions are similar to Nissan Maxima, Altima, Murano, Titan, Qashqai, Navara, Pathfinder, Sentra, and Rouge.
Always disconnect the battery and wait 15 minutes before you start working on the airbag system. Keep your body at least two feet from the airbag in case the airbag deploys. Handle the airbag with care.
SRS Airbag Light On
If the airbag light is still on after replacing the clock spring and steering wheel angle sensor, you can use the YOUCANIC Full System Scanner to clear the stored codes. This scanner can also read and clear fault codes on every control module of your Nissan vehicle.
We hope you find the Nissan Quest Clock Spring Replacement guide helpful. Check these troubleshooting and repair guides for more help on your Nissan.