Nissan 3.5L V6 Engine Change Ignition Coils
This guide provides step-by-step instructions on replacing the ignition coils on the Nissan and Infiniti vehicles’ 3.5L V6 engines.
This particular engine is known with code VQ35DE and is installed on many Nissan and Infiniti models such as the Altima, Maxima, Murano, Pathfinder, Quest, 350z, G35, M35, and more.
What you will need
- OEM Nissan Ignition Coils
- 10mm socket
- Park the Nissan on level ground. Allow the engine to cool down.
- Pull the hood release under the dashboard and open the hood.
- Locate the battery in the engine bay. Disconnect the negative battery terminal.
- Remove the engine cover. You will need to remove two 10 mm bolts to remove the engine cover.
- Disconnect Ignition Coil. Unplug the electrical connector from the ignition coil. Press the small tab, then pull.
- Do this for the rest of the ignition coils.
- You will need to remove the intake manifold to replace the back coils on this particular Nissan engine.
- Remove Bolts. Remove the 10mm bolts that secure the coil in place.
- Remove ignition coils simply by lifting them. Install new ignition coils on your Nissan.
- Reinstall the engine cover. Connect the negative terminal and start the car.
What you may notice when a Nissan ignition coil fails:
- Check Engine Light On
- Engine misfiring
- Catalytic Converter Glowing Red
- Rough Idle
- Loss of power
- The car will not start or dies when idle.
- Engine shaking
While it is recommended to replace all the coils at the same time whenever possible, replacing only the faulty coil is an acceptable solution. If the coil is replaced with the same brand as the remaining coils, you shouldn’t notice any performance issues when only one coil is replaced.
Check Engine Light Still On
If the check engine light is still on after replacing the ignition coil, you can use the YOUCANIC Full System Scanner to clear the stored codes on your Nissan vehicle. This scanner also can read and clear fault codes on every control module of your vehicle.
- Infiniti QX60 (since 2014)
- Nissan Altima (since 2002)
- Nissan Maxima (since 2002)
- Nissan Murano Z50 (since 2003)
- Nissan Pathfinder (since 2013)
- Nissan Quest (since 2004)
- Nissan 350Z (2003-2006)
- Nissan Pathfinder (2001-2004)
- Infiniti FX35 (2003-2008)
- Infiniti G35 Coupe (2003-2007)
- Infiniti G35 Sedan (2003-2006)
- Infiniti I35 (2002-2004)
- Infiniti JX35 (2013-2013)
- Infiniti M35 (2006-2008)
- Infiniti QX4 (2001-2004)
We hope you find the Nissan 3.5L V6 Engine Change Ignition Coils guide helpful. Check these troubleshooting and repair guides for more help on your Nissan.