Audi Oxygen O2 Sensor Replacement
Does your Audi misfiring, stalling, rough idling, or has a poor engine performance? Learn how to fix it by replacing your vehicle’s Oxygen (O2) Sensor.
The upstream oxygen sensor for the catalytic converter. That would be Bank 1 Sensor 1 or Bank 2 Sensor 1. Also, to change the downstream oxygen sensor for the catalytic converter, you will need to jack up the car and/or use ramps. Also, you will have to remove the splash shield from underneath the car.
- Check Engine Light is ON
- A decrease in fuel economy
- Engine Hesitation or misfiring
- Rough Idling
What you will need
- Audi Oxygen Sensor
- Oxygen Sensor Tool
- Ratchet Wrench
- Penetrating Oil
- Jack and Jack Stands
- For downstream sensors. Bank 1 Sensor 2 and Bank 2 Sensor 2 Only.
- Park, your Audi, set the parking brakes, and open the hood. Allow the engine to cool down, or you will risk getting burned. Open the hood.
- Disconnect the negative battery terminal.
Locate the oxygen sensor on your Audi. Above, you’ll see the upstream oxygen sensor on an Audi Q5.Location of O2 sensor on Audi A4.
- Disconnect the O2 sensor. Press the connector and pull it away to unplug the connector.
Remove the sensor, place the oxygen sensor socket on it, and break it loose. Remove the old Audi oxygen sensor.
- You may need to spray penetrating oil and allow it to sit for at least ten minutes. Especially on high-mileage Audi cars where the oxygen sensor is stuck.
- Install the new O2 sensor. Tighten your new Audi oxygen sensor to the new sensor hand tight, then turn an extra 1/2-3/4 turn.
- Connect the oxygen sensor wire harness by plugging it in. If you use a universal oxygen sensor, you will need to use the diagram with the sensor to find out which wires to splice.
The typical cost to change the Audi oxygen sensor is around $100. This guide will help Audi models such as the A1, A3, A4, A5, A6, A7, Q3, Q5, Q7, and TT.
Check Engine Light Still On
If the check engine light is still on after you replace the O2 sensor, you can use the YOUCANIC Full System Scanner to clear the stored codes. This scanner can also read and clear fault codes on every control module of your Audi vehicle.
We hope you found this guide Replace Audi Oxygen O2 Sensor, helpful. Check these troubleshooting and repair guides for more help on your Audi vehicle.
Which is the upstream vs downstream??