Audi hood won’t stay open? Learn how to fix your Audi hood by replacing your hood supports. Audi hood lift supports are sometimes called hood shocks or hydraulic hood struts. Changing Audi hood supports is easy and takes less than 20 minutes.
The hood strut may be the culprit if you are experiencing any of the following problems.
- The Audi hood won’t stay up.
- The hood won’t stay open by itself anymore.
- The Audi hood will not stay open.
- The Audi hood stays open for a few seconds and then closes.
- Hood closes automatically
What you will need
- Audi Hood Lift Support
- Flat Screwdriver
- Helper to keep Audi hood up.
- Open the hood of your Audi. The hood latch release is located under the dashboard on the driver’s side.
- Secure the hood in an upright position. Locate the hood struts that will need to be replaced.
- An example of an Audi hood strut is shown on the pictured Q5. Have a friend hold up the hood of your Audi. If the hood falls while you are changing the hood lifts on your car, you can get seriously injured.
- Locate the clip that locks the hood support locks to the ball joint.
- Use a flat screwdriver to pry out the clip that locks the hood strut in place.
- Disconnect the gas strut from the frame using the same procedure.
- Install the new hood support in the reverse order.
- If your Audi has two gas struts, follow the same procedure for the other side. Audi models such as the A4 shown above may have only one hydraulic hood support.
In this guide, you have learned how to replace the hood struts on Audi models such as the A1, A3, A4, A5, A6, Q3, Q5, and Q7.
Audi hood supports can be replaced the same way regardless of the model. The hood supports are not interchangeable between models. Be sure to buy the correct hood support for your car.
We hope you find this guide on Audi Hood Won’t Stay Open – Replace Hood Supports helpful. Check these troubleshooting and repair guides for more help on your Audi vehicle.
Have questions about your car? Get assistance in our newly launched forum section. We’re here to provide support!