Skip to main content
What you will need
- Open the hood. Pull the hood release under the dashboard, go to the vehicle's front, unlock the hood latch and pull the hood up until the hood struts keep the hood open.
- Disconnect the positive and negative terminals of the battery by loosening the 10mm bolts.
- Remove the air cleaner and air filter housing to access the starter.
- Pop the push clips out on the bumper support bracket and put the bumper support bracket aside.
- Pull the air cleaner out by removing the 10mm bolts on the front bumper. Use a 10mm socket wrench to remove the bolts.
- Remove the two 10mm bolts holding the airbox, disconnect the hose by loosening the clamp, disconnecting the electrical connector on the back of the airbox, and set the air filter housing aside. This procedure helps to have easier access to the starter.
- Disconnect the electrical connector of the starter by pressing and pulling it out.
- Remove the 12mm bolt holding the cable and pull it out to disconnect it from the starter.
- Remove the 14mm bolts on the starter and pull the starter out from the vehicle.
- Get the new/replacement starter, line it up back to the vehicle, and reinstall the 14mm bolts.
- Hook the cable back to the starter and reinstall the 12mm bolt.
- Reconnect the connector of the starter.
- Line up the air filter housing back to the vehicle, connect the hose for the air filter housing, and reinstall the two 10mm bolts.
- Put back the air cleaner and reinstall the 10mm bolts on the front bumper.
- Reconnect the positive and negative terminals of the battery.
- Starter bolts: 39 N·m (398 kgf·cm, 29 ft·lbf)
- Power cable nuts: 13 N·m (130 kgf·cm, 9 ft·lbf)