Learn how to replace the low-beam headlight light bulb on a third-generation Mazda 3. The following instructions apply to the Mazda 3 model years 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, and 2018.
The replacement bulb may be H11 if your Mazda3 has a halogen lamp. Few models are equipped with a D4S bulb if they have HID headlights.
What you will need
- H11 Light Bulb for models with halogen lights
- D4S Bulb for models with HID lights
- Open the hood by pulling the hood release under the dashboard.
- Locate the burned-out light bulb. Both the driver-side and passenger-side light bulbs are identical.
- Disconnect the electrical plug from the light bulb.
- Using gloves, twist the light bulb to remove it.
- Install the new light bulb. Be careful not to touch the glass with your bare hands.
- Push the electrical plug into the light bulb until you hear a click.
- Handle the light bulb by the base and avoid touching the glass. Oil residue can shorten the life span of the bulb.
- Be careful in removing and installing the light bulb. It can be easily damaged if it is not installed correctly.
- Discard the light bulb properly.
Why is my headlight bulb not working after replacement?
If your headlight bulb is not working after replacement, it could be due to incorrect installation, a faulty bulb, a blown fuse, damaged wiring, or a defective socket connection. Double-check the structure and connections to ensure everything is properly aligned and connected. If the issue persists, consider testing the bulb in another socket or checking the fuse and wiring.
Can I use a different size and wattage of headlight bulbs?
It’s recommended to use headlight bulbs that match the size and wattage specified for your vehicle in the owner’s manual. Using a different size or wattage can affect the headlights’ brightness, visibility, and overall performance. It may also overload the electrical system or cause excessive heat, potentially damaging the headlight housing. Always adhere to the manufacturer’s recommendations for safe and optimal headlight performance.
Replacing the low-beam light bulb on a Mazda 3 takes less than 15 minutes. Check the old headlight to verify if your Mazda 3 requires a halogen or HID bulb. Vehicles with HID bulbs have a high-voltage warning label by the headlight.
We hope the 2014-18 Mazda 3 Headlight Light Bulb Replacement guide is helpful. Check these troubleshooting and repair guides for more help with your Mazda.
Have questions about your car? Get assistance in our newly launched forum section. We’re here to provide support!