Is the oil service reminder displayed on your Mazda 3 dashboard? Learn how to change the oil and oil filter of your Mazda 3 by following the procedures below. This guide will show instructions for changing the oil on your Mazda 3.
How to Replace Mazda 3 Engine Oil
What you will need
- Engine Oil SAE 0-20W
- Engine Oil Filter
Capacity: 4.4 US qt (4.6l)
Access Factory Repair Manuals
The YOUCANIC Pro Manuals offer OEM Factory Repair Manuals with detailed steps and illustrations, comprehensive wiring diagrams, torque specifications, and access to technical service bulletins and OEM service information, mirroring dealership manuals.
1 quart (US) = 0.9463 liter
- 8mm Allen wrench
- 10mm socket wrench
- Flat-head screwdriver
- Oil pan
- Oil funnel
- Jack stands (2x)
- Floor jack
- Oil filter wrench or Oil filter plier
- Work gloves
- Wheel chocks
- Park the vehicle on level ground.
- Put wheel chocks or block the back wheel of the vehicle to prevent it from rolling back.
- Jack up the vehicle.
- Support the vehicle with jack stands.
- Detach the small cover under the engine by removing all the screws and pushing pins around it. Use a screwdriver to remove the screws and a flat screwdriver to unlock the push pins.
- Locate the oil filter and drain plug under the engine.
- Put the oil pan below the drain plug and oil filter.
- Loosen the oil drain plug using an Allen wrench and drain the engine oil by removing the drain plug by hand. To loosen the drain plug, turn the Allen wrench counterclockwise.
- Remove the old oil filter and install the new oil filter. Loosen the oil filter using a clamp plier. Once the oil filter is loose, remove it by hand.
- Replace the copper washer on the drain plug and reinstall the drain plug back.
- Open the hood and locate the oil cap on the top of the engine. Open the oil cap by turning it counterclockwise.
- Put a funnel on the oil cap and pour in the engine oil. Make sure to reinstall the oil cap back when done adding the oil. Use the brake fluid recommended by the vehicle’s manufacturer.
- Check the oil level. Pull out the dipstick and wipe it clean, then fully insert it and pull it out again. The indicator of the oil level is on the bottom of the dipstick.
- Oil filter: 22-26 ft-lbs
- Oil drain plug: 23-30 ft-lbs
One Newton meter equals 0.7376 ft-lbs, rounded to 4 decimal places. To convert Newton meters to foot-pounds, multiply your figure by 0.7376.
Applicable Oil Filters
- Genuine Mazda (1WPE-14302)
- Genuine Mazda (LF05-14-302B)
- Pulorator PL14612
- Pulorator PL10241
- 6PK MAZDA OEM SKYACTIV
- Fram PH6607
- Fram XG3614
- Mobil 1 M1-108A
- K&N PS-1008
- K&N KN-198 Polaris
We hope you find the Mazda 3 Change Engine Oil DIY guide helpful. Check these troubleshooting and repair guides for more help on your Mazda.