Need to change the engine oil of your Kia Optima? Learn how to change the engine oil and oil filter of your Kia Optima by following the procedures below. This guide is a step-by-step procedure for oil changing and replacing the oil filter on a 2016-2020 Kia Optima.
What you will need
- 5W-20 Engine oil 4.8L or 5.0721 U.S.qts.
- Oil filter (See Applicable Oil Filters Below)
- Oil pan
- Copper washer
- 17mm Wrench
- Jack or Car ramps
- Jack stands
- Wheel chocks
- Work gloves
- Park the vehicle at a safe flat ground level.
- Jack up the vehicle or put the vehicle on the car ramps and support the vehicle with jack stands. Then put wheel chocks on the back wheel.
- Locate the drain plug under the engine. Place the drain pan below.
- Loosen the 17mm drain plug and remove it by hand by turning it counterclockwise. Allow the oil to drain for at least 10 minutes.
- Reinstall the drain plug with a new copper washer and torque it to the correct specification.
- Locate the oil filter and place the oil pan below it.
- Loosen the oil filter using an oil filter clamp and remove it by hand.
- Clean the installation surface of the oil filter.
- Install the new oil filter and tighten it by hand.
- Remove the jack stands so that the vehicle is on a flat-level surface. Do not start the engine as there is no oil in it yet.
- Open the hood and remove the oil cap by turning it counterclockwise.
- Insert a funnel onto the engine and pour the engine oil into the funnel. Make sure to use the engine oil recommended by the vehicle’s manufacturer. Do not add more than the recommended capacity. Drain and refill capacity: 4.8L or 5.0721 U.S.qts.
- Check the oil level using the dipstick.
- Place the oil cap back on the engine. Tighten it and go start the engine.
- Check for oil leaks, especially on the oil filter, and recheck the engine oil level to be safe.
- Oil drain plug: 34.3-44.1N.m (32.5 lb-ft)
- Oil filter: 11.8-15.7 N.m (11.6 lb-ft)
Applicable Oil Filters
- PurolatorBoss PBL14461
- Fram Titanium FS9688
- Mobil1 M1-104A
- Purolator ONE PL14459
- K&N HP-1004
- Carquest Standard R85334
- Carquest Premium 85334
- K&N PS-1004
- aFe POWER 44-LF018-MB
- aFe POWER 44-LF018
- OEZ 26300-35505
- FRAM Force FF9688
- Beck/Arnley 041-8707
We hope you find the Kia Optima Change Engine Oil – DIY guide helpful. Check these troubleshooting and repair guides for more help on your Kia.