Need to replace the serpentine belt of your Kia Optima? This is a step-by-step procedure to replace the serpentine and water pump belts on a 2016-2020 Kia Optima. Follow the procedures below to learn how to remove and install the serpentine belt on a Kia Optima.
What you will need
- Floor jack or car ramps
- Jack stands
- Wheel chocks
- 17mm Wrench
- 22mm Wrench
- Drive Belts
- Serpentine belt
- Water pump belt
- Park the vehicle. Jack up the vehicle or put it on car ramps.
- Support the vehicle with jack stands and wheel chocks at the rear wheel.
- Remove the front wheel liner, on the driver’s side, of the vehicle to gain access to the serpentine belt.
- Go under the vehicle and locate the tensioner pulley/idler pulley. Driver’s side of the engine.
- Twist the bolt counterclockwise on the tensioner pulley using a 17mm wrench to loosen the tension on the serpentine belt and pull the serpentine belt out.
- Release the tensioner pulley when the serpentine belt is removed.
- Remove the belt from the water pump and crankshaft. Turn the crankshaft pulley using a 22mm wrench and as you move the pulley, remove the belt.
- Get the new belt, line it up back to the pulley, and twist the crankshaft to install the new belt.
- Get the new serpentine belt and line it up back to the pulleys.
- Twist the tensioner pulley counterclockwise and put the serpentine belt onto the pulleys. Make sure that every groove of the belt is aligned to the ribs of the pulley.
We hope you find the Kia Optima Replace Drive & Water Pump Belt Replacement guide helpful. Check these troubleshooting and repair guides for more help on your Kia.
Have questions about your car? Get assistance in our newly launched forum section. We’re here to provide support!