Looking for the best Hyundai OBD2 scanner? This article reviews the best OBD-II scanners for Hyundai and Kia vehicles.
While hundreds of scanners work on Kia and Hyundai, our goal was to focus on OBD2 scanners that are affordable and can diagnose multiple systems, including engine, transmission, brake (ABS), and airbag (SRS) on Hyundai and Kia vehicles.
1. YOUCANIC Full System Scanner
We tested a lot of scanners trying to find the best scanner to use in our garage. What we found is that:
- Many scanner manufacturers make scanners that require a yearly subscription.
- Can diagnose one make but doesn’t work on all different car makes. You will have to pay more to cover other vehicle makes.
- Can’t diagnose all vehicle systems. May only diagnose the engine, airbag, transmission, and ABS problems. That’s only 4 systems. Modern cars can have up to 40+ systems.
- Don’t support bi-direction support for sensor testing and activation.
If you wanted a scanner that can do all these, you have to spend thousands of dollars and most likely pay a yearly subscription.
So we decided to launch the YOUCANIC full system scanner that works on all makes and models.
The YOUCANIC full system scanner:
- Works on all makes.
- Can read and clear codes from all vehicle control units.
- View live data from any sensor.
- Bi-direction support to activate and test sensors and motors.
- Reset functions depending on model
If that is not enough, keep in mind that the YOUCANIC scanner does not require a yearly subscription as other professional-level tools do. We believe that the YOUCANIC scanner offers the best OBD2 for the money for auto mechanics and DIYers.
Don’t want to buy a scanner? We still want to help you fix your vehicle in an economical way. We created a scanner rental program that allows you to use the scanner for a few days on as many cars as you like.
We have a ton of how-to video showing you how to troubleshoot car problems. Once you get the codes, the YOUCANIC technicians can help you with any questions you may have.
2. Foxwell All System Scanner
- Diagnose multiple systems
- Reset the service oil reminder
- TPMS programming
- Steering Angle Sensor (SAS) calibration
- Program and code control units.
- Diagnose chassis, powertrain, and body systems.
- Reads and clears diagnostic trouble codes. Reset CEL/MIL light.
- Live sensors data streaming.
- ABS/SRS/Airbag, ECU, and Transmission Diagnostics
If you do your own Hyundai / Kia repairs and are looking for an affordable multi-system scanner beyond the basic OBD2 troubleshooting, the Foxwell NT510 is a great choice. Not only is the Foxwell All System Scanner affordable, but it provides several capabilities that you only find on professional-level diagnostic scanners.
When purchasing a Foxwell NT510, make sure it says Hyundai or Kia. This scanner can be loaded with software for up to different car makes. It will work on a generic scanner and diagnose the check engine light on all makes regardless of the specific software loaded on the scanner.
3. Autel MaxiDAS
- Extensive vehicle coverage for more than 50 Domestic, Asian and European vehicles makes
- Dealer-level capability, including live data ECU programming.
- Key Coding functionality, Component Activation testing.
- Sensor Initializations, ECU Adoption, Coding & Module Set Up functionality.
The Autel MaxiDAS provides in-depth troubleshooting and diagnostic similar to the diagnostic scanner used at the Hyundai dealership. It can access all systems on your Hyundai/Kia, not just the ABS, SRS, ECU, and TCU. This is the best alternative to the Hyundai dealer scanner. The MaxiDAS can erase, clear, activate sensors, program, and initialize control units.
Even though it is a professional-level diagnostic scanner, it is relatively easy to use and much less expensive than Hyundai GDS or the Snap-On Solus. You see, this scanner is often used at independent auto repair shops. While it is one of the least extensive professional Hyundai scan tools, it is expensive for most Hyundai and Kia owners. Autel MaxiDAS DS708 is the older generation scanner. The latest version at the time of this writing is the MaxiDAS DS808.
4. Hyundai Dealer Scanner Tool
The Hi-Scan Pro was the factory scanner for Hyundai vehicles in the past. Currently, G.I.T is the OEM manufacturer of the scan tool called Global Diagnostic System (GDS), which is used at Hyundai and Kia dealers. Hyundai GDS diagnostic scanner will give you full control of the systems on your Hyundai / Kia. With the GDS, you can diagnose and reprogram control units. The original GDS scanner can get very expensive for Hyundai/Kia owners. The Hyundai GDS costs thousands of dollars and requires yearly updates. For Hyundai, owners don’t make sense unless you are an auto repair shop specializing in Hyundai and Kia vehicles.
5. Hyundai G-Scan 2 Tool
G.I.T., who makes the OEM diagnostic scanner for Hyundai and Kia dealers, makes a second scanner called G-Scan with similar capabilities to the Hyundai GDS scanner but can be used by auto repair shops. The G-scan tool provides dealer lever control and functionality and can access all the systems on your Hyundai vehicles.
The Hyundai G-Scan tool and Hyundai GDS main difference are that the G-Scan can not access the Hyundai dealer network and can not do reflashing. The G-scan is much cheaper than the Hyundai GDS scanner, but it is still expensive for Hyundai and Kia owners. Other OBD2 scanners provide in-depth diagnostics that still cost less than the Hyundai G-Scan tool.
What is the best scanner for Hyundai and Kia vehicles?
If you are a Hyundai or Kia owner and plan on doing your own car repairs, our recommendation would be the YOUCANIC full system scanner.
If your main goal is to read and clear the Check Engine Light, then all you need is a basic OBD2 code reader. You don’t need to spend hundreds of dollars to read and clear the check engine light. Your local auto parts store may even read your codes free of charge.
Note that the scanners listed here work in both Hyundai and Kia. Even though Kia is a different brand, its parent company is Hyundai Motor Group, which shares modules and software.