Does your Kia have a clunking noise when driven at low speeds? Learn how to fix the problem by replacing the sway bar bushing of your Kia. This guide is a step-by-step instruction on replacing the sway bar bushing on a 2016-2020 Kia Optima.
This tutorial covers replacing the sway bar bushing on a Kia Optima. This procedure can apply to other Kia models. Keep in mind that the sway bar bushing part numbers will vary.
How to Replace Kia Sway Bar Bushing
One of the most common symptoms of a bad sway bar bushing or sway bar links going bad is Clunking noise at low speed. Other symptoms include rattling noise and knocking when going over speed bumps.
Access Factory Repair Manuals
The YOUCANIC Pro Manuals offer OEM Factory Repair Manuals with detailed steps and illustrations, comprehensive wiring diagrams, torque specifications, and access to technical service bulletins and OEM service information, mirroring dealership manuals.
What you will need
- Sway bar bushing (Kia Optima)
- Tire rod or breaker bar
- Floor jack
- Jack stands
- 14mm wrench
- Park the vehicle and loosen the lug nuts of the front wheel using a breaker bar.
- Jack up the vehicle and remove the front wheel.
- Support the vehicle with jack stands and place wheel chocks on the rear wheel.
- Push up the sway bar link on the passenger side using a jack to release pressure on the sway bar bushing on the driver’s side. Do this procedure when replacing the sway bar bushing on the other side. Jacking up the sway bar link releases pressure from the sway bar bushing.
- Loosen the two 14mm bolts on the sway bar bushing clamp using a 14mm wrench and remove the clamp from the stabilizer bar.
- Once the clamp is removed, pull the sway bar bushing out from the stabilizer bar.
- Get the new sway bar bushing and line it back to the stabilizer bar. Then, reinstall the clamp on the stabilizer bar and the bolts on the clamp.
- Reinstall the wheels and test drive the vehicle when replacing both sway bar bushings.
44.1 – 53.9N.m (32.5 ~ 39.8lb-ft)
We hope you find the Kia Sway Bar Bushing Replacement guide helpful. Check these troubleshooting and repair guides for more help on your Kia.