Is there a clucking noise when driving your Kia Optima? Learn how to fix the problem by replacing the sway bar link of your Kia. This guide is a step-by-step instruction on replacing the sway bar link on a 2016-2020 Kia Optima.
What you will need
- 17mm wrench
- 8mm wrench
- Floor jack
- Jack stands
- Wheel chocks
- Sway bar link (Kia Optima)
- Park the vehicle, set the parking brakes, and loosen the lug nuts on the front wheel.
- Jack up the vehicle on the jack points under the front door and remove the front wheel.
- Support the vehicle with jack stands and place wheel chocks on the rear wheel.
- Locate the sway bar link and loosen the bolts on both sides of the sway bar link. Use a 17mm wrench to loosen the bolt and an 8mm wrench to counter hold.
- Repeat for the upper connection to the strut.
- Tap or use a tool to push the sway bar link out from the sway bar and suspension of the vehicle. Another method to remove the sway bar link is to place a jack under the control arm and slowly raise the control arm until the sway bar link can be easily removed by hand.
- Get the new sway bar link and line it back to the sway bar and suspension. Then reinstall the bolts back to the sway bar link. Torque Specification of the bolts on the sway bar link: 98.1 – 117.7N.m (72.3 – 86.8lb-ft)
- Reinstall the wheel and test drive the vehicle. Torque the lug nuts to 85 ft-lbs.
Bolts on the sway bar link:
- 98.1 – 117.7N.m (72.3 – 86.8lb-ft)
We hope you find the Sway Bar Link Replacement Kia Optima 2016-2020 guide helpful. Check these troubleshooting and repair guides for more help on your Kia.