Is your Toyota engine air filter dirty, causing the vehicle to have less power and gas mileage? Learn how to fix the problem by replacing the engine air filter of your Toyota.
In this guide, it will discuss step-by-step instructions on how to change the engine air filter on Toyota vehicles. This guide applies to various Toyota models, including Toyota Corolla, Camry, Matrix, Highlander, Rav4, 4Runner, Sienna, and other models. While the procedure is the same, the filter size does vary between models, so make sure to purchase the correct engine air filter for your Toyota.
What You Need
- Toyota Engine Air Filter
- Park your Toyota on level ground, turn off the engine, and set the parking brakes.
- Pull the hood release under the dashboard until you hear the hood pop open.
- Slide your hand under the hood and release the hood latch.
- Locate the engine air filter housing.
- Remove the clips by pressing them away from the housing. The filter housing may have up to four clips or a combination of clips and screws. On some Toyota models, there are only two clips, and the backside has tabs that slide in two slots.
- Remove the old air filter and clean debris from the filter housing.
Install the new air filter in the housing, ensuring it sits properly and is sealed all around.
Close the housing and reconnect the clips. If you can’t close the air filter housing, the air filter may not be seated properly or is the wrong size.
While the location of the engine air filter will vary, this guide will help you learn how to change the engine air filter on Toyota Camry, Corolla, Matrix, Sienna, 4Runner, Land Cruiser, and Highlander. Just make sure to get the correct engine air filter for your model. The procedure is almost identical for all models.
Toyota Engine Air Filter Replacement Interval
Toyota engine air filters should be replaced every 15,000miles or once a year. If you drive off-road or on dirt roads, it needs to be changed every 7,500 miles or every six months. Always follow the recommended interval noted in your owner’s manual.
Toyota Engine Air Filter Replacement Cost
The average cost to change the engine air filter on a Toyota ranges between $45 and $60. While the cost to change the Toyota engine air filter is between $12 and $30 for parts. No tools are required in most cases. It takes about 15 minutes to change the engine air filter yourself on a Toyota vehicle.
We hope you find the Toyota Change Engine Air Filter guide helpful. Check these troubleshooting and repair guides for more help on your Toyota.
Have questions about your car? Get assistance in our newly launched forum section. We’re here to provide support!