Mazda Engine Air Filter Replacement
Learn to change the engine air filter on Mazda vehicles. The pictures in this guide are from a 2015 Mazda, but they should help owners of other Mazda models learn how to replace the air filter.
What you will need
- Mazda Air Filter (1)
- Park the Mazda. Turn off the ignition. Set the parking brakes. Place shifter in Park.
- Pull the hood release found under the dashboard on the driver’s side.
- Locate the engine air filter. In Mazdas, the engine air filter (air cleaner box) is in the engine bay. It is located on the driver’s side of the engine. Here is a close-up picture of what the air filter cleaner box looks like.
- To remove the air filter, you first need to release the metal clips that secure the air filter housing. Simply pry open the clips.
- Remove the air filter from the filter housing.
- Remove any dirt, debris, or leaves that you see in the bottom of the air filter housing.
- Replace the engine air filter in your Mazda. Pay attention to the orientation of the old filter. Also, make sure to slide the two tabs on the back of the housing before you close up the housing.
- Reinstall the new filter in reverse order. The filter needs to sit flush with the housing, or you won’t be able to close it.
The pictures and video clips on this guide were recorded on a Mazda 5, but these instructions will help owners of Mazda3, Mazda5, CX5, CX7, and CX9 as well, which have the same setup.
Mazda Air Filter Replacement Interval
The recommended engine air filter interval for most Mazda vehicles is one year or 12,000 miles, whichever comes first. Verify in your owner’s manual.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I change the engine air cleaner myself on a Mazda?
Yes, you can. It is very easy. In most cases, it only takes about fifteen min, and no special skills are required.
How do I know I need to change the engine air filter on my Mazda?
When was the last time you changed your Mazda’s engine air cleaner? If it has been over a year, you need to change it.
What are the symptoms of a bad engine air filter?
Poor fuel economy
Air filter dirty
We hope you find the Mazda Engine Air Filter Replacement guide helpful. Check these troubleshooting and repair guides for more help on your Mazda.