Is your Mazda 3 engine idle rough, misfiring, and the check engine light on due to a faulty spark plug/ignition coil? Learn how to fix the problem by replacing your vehicle’s spark plugs and ignition coils.
This guide is a step-by-step procedure on replacing the Ignition Coil and Spark Plugs on a 2013-2019 CX-3 CX-5 Mazda 6 Mazda 3 . Video and pictures are based on a 2016 Mazda 3, but this engine is found on other models as well.
What you will need
- Mazda 3 Spark Plugs
- Part number: PE5R-18-110 or NGK 93501
- The typal gap is 0.044″ – Spark plug will come pre-gapped.
- Iridium spark plugs
- Mazda 3 Ignition Coil
- UF-656, GN10625
- Mechanic Toolset (Metric)
- Torque Wrench
- Unlock the vehicle and pull the hood release under the dashboard.
- Locate the hood latch on the vehicle’s front and slide the tab to the right to unlock it.
- Pull the hood up and place the hood strut to hold the hood.
- Remove the engine cover by pulling it up.
- Push on the connector’s clip and pull it out to disconnect the connector from the coil pack.
- Remove the 8mm bolts on the ignition coil using an 8mm socket wrench and twist it counterclockwise.
- Remove the ignition coil by pulling it out from the engine.
- Loosen the spark plugs using a spark plug socket wrench.
- Remove the spark plugs. Use the spark plug socket wrench or a magnet to carry the spark plug out.
- Install the new spark plugs carefully. Use the spark plug socket wrench or the magnet to prevent the spark plug from dropping and damaging the gap.
- Tighten the spark plugs to the correct torque specification.
- Place the new ignition coil and push them down to lock it into place.
- Reinstall the 8mm bolts on the coil pack and twist them clockwise to tighten.
- Reconnect the electrical connectors of the ignition coil.
- Line up the engine cover back to the vehicle and push it down until it snaps into place.
- Spark plugs: 15-20 N-m (1.6-2.0 kgf-m, 12-14 ft-lbf)
- Ignition coil 10mm bolt: Hand tight
We hope you find the Replace Spark Plug & Ignition Coil Mazda 2013-2019 3 6 CX-3 CX-5 guides helpful. Check these troubleshooting and repair guides for more help on your vehicle.