This guide provides instructions on replacing the front strut assembly on a Nissan vehicle. Installing Nissan front struts and shocks takes about 2 to 3 hours with the help of a few basic tools.
What you will need
- Nissan Front Strut Assembly
- Car Jack
- Jack Stand
- Torque Wrench
- Metric Socket
- Breaker Bar
- Park the Nissan on level ground. Set the parking brakes and make sure the shifter is in the Park position.
- Pull the hood release under the dashboard and open the hood.
- Use a jack to raise the vehicle. Support the vehicle with jack stands. Always use jack stands to support your car. A jack alone is not safe.
- Open the hood and remove all three 13mm bolt on top of the strut tower. On certain Nissan models, such as this Quest, you will need to remove the plastic cover to access the top strut bolts. Remove the three bolts that fasten the front strut to the frame.
- Remove the nut that secures the sway bar link to the strut. There is a high chance that the stud will spin freely. Use an Allen wrench to prevent it from spinning.
- Unhook the ABS cable and the brake hose from the strut.
- Remove the bolt that secures the front strut to the steering knuckle. Also, remove the nut from the sway bar link and disconnect it.
- Install the new strut in reverse order. Tighten the bottom bolts to specification; typical values have been provided below. Verify torque specs for your particular Nissan model by calling your local dealer.
- Carefully remove the strut from the vehicle.
- Install the wheels and lug nuts. Slowly lower the vehicle.
- Torque the lug nuts to the recommended specification. Typically 90 ft-lbs.
These instructions will help you replace the front strut on a Nissan vehicle. These instructions can change the front struts on a Nissan Altima, Maxima, Sentra, Rogue, Murano, Frontier, and other models. Torque specifications may vary and should be verified by calling the dealer.
After changing your Nissan front struts, you need to align the wheels. Skipping wheel alignment will result in premature tire wear.
These are typical values and may vary between models. Check with your dealer for the correct torque specifications for your car.
|Front Wheel Lug Nuts||
Typical: 90 ft-lbs
|Strut to the steering knuckle||
|Top Strut Mounting Bolts to Frame||
We hope you find the Nissan Front Strut Replacement Guide helpful. Check these troubleshooting and repair guides for more help on your Nissan.
Have questions about your car? Get assistance in our newly launched forum section. We’re here to provide support!