If you’re driving down the road and notice that the door open dash light stays on, it can be a distracting and annoying issue. Fortunately, it’s usually a simple fix you can do in a few easy steps. The door open indicator light switching on while the door is shut or closed is commonly caused by a door switch that failed in the open position. Other possible issues include a wiring problem, faulty instrument cluster, or module. This guide provides instructions on fixing a problem where the car thinks the door is always open.
Common symptoms include:
- The constant beep that won’t stop even if you close the door
- The door open symbol is on the dashboard.
- The interior light stays on
- The door is not fully closed. Please open the door and close it again.
- Faulty door latch. Watch the video to learn more about this problem.
- A damaged wire harness. Wire harness often gets damaged at the door hinge where wires go from door to frame.
- A faulty door module. This can affect newer vehicles that have door modules. Door modules can fail either due to software glitches or water damage.
- The door switch is faulty. Common on older vehicles. Newer vehicles have the door switch integrated into the door latch.
How to replace a faulty door switch
- Verify that the door open warning indicator is lighting up while the door is shut or closed.
- Find the door switch’s location, typically near the door striker.
- Loosen and remove the switch’s retaining screw using a Philips screwdriver.
- Detach the switch.
- Disconnect electrical connection to the switch.
- Pull out the switch.
- Hold the switch to prevent the wiring from falling inside the switch frame. Please note that if the wiring falls inside the frame, you will need a few extra steps to retrieve it, like removing the seat and the back panel.
- Prepare the new switch.
- Reconnect the electrical connector to the switch.
- Line up the switch, then install the retaining screw.
- Verify the installation.
If you’ve noticed the door open warning light staying on in your vehicle and can’t locate the door switch on the frame, the switch is likely integrated into the door latch mechanism. In this case, fixing the issue would require replacing the door latch. Integrating door switches in latch mechanisms is becoming increasingly common in modern vehicles, so it’s important to understand their connection. By replacing the door latch, you can effectively turn off the door open warning and get back to driving without any distractions. However, if you’re uncomfortable with this type of repair, it’s always best to consult a professional mechanic.
Here’s how to fix the door open dash light stays on in your vehicle:
- Check the door latches: Make sure all doors are fully closed and latched. If one door isn’t closed properly, the door open dash light will stay on.
- Check the door switches: If the door latches are fine, check the door switches. They are usually located in the doorjamb or pillar and can damage or malfunction over time.
- Clean the door switches: If the switches are dirty or covered in debris, clean them off with a clean cloth. This may solve the issue and turn off the door open dash light.
- Replace the door switches: If cleaning them doesn’t solve the issue, you may need to replace them. This is a simple task that can be done with basic hand tools.
- Consult a professional: If you’re not comfortable working on your vehicle or the issue persists, it’s always best to consult a professional mechanic. They will be able to diagnose the problem and make the necessary repairs to turn off the door open dash light.
With these simple steps, you can fix the door open dash light stays on, and get back to a more peaceful and distraction-free drive.
Frequently Asked Questions
What does the door open warning indicator do?
Cars have been equipped with door switches for quite some time now. The car’s computer monitors the switch and alerts the driver when it thinks one of the doors isn’t closed. This is a safety measure to prevent doors from opening while driving.
Is it expensive to replace a car sensor?
Depending on what sensor, it could cost around $20-$100. Plus, the labor if you’re going to a mechanic shop to let them replace the sensor.
Can I still drive if the open door light comes on?
Yes, if the door indicator sensor is just the one not working. Ensure all doors are closed before driving the vehicle.
We hope you find the Door Closed, but Door Ajar Open Light Deep and Warning Stay On guide helpful. Check these troubleshooting and repair guides for more help on your vehicle.