Does the Collision Prevention Assist Plus Inoperative appear on your Mercedes-Benz dashboard? By following the procedures below, you can learn the possible causes and solutions of why the Collision Prevention Assist Plus is Inoperative or Malfunctioning.
COLLISION PREVENTION ASSIST PLUS in the Mercedes-Benz helps to reduce your risk of rear-ending another vehicle. Collision prevention may malfunction. The vehicle warns the driver by a warning message on the dashboard, stating, “Collision Prevention Assist Plus Inoperative See Owners Manual.”
Throttle response may become sluggish, and the car feels like it has no power. This is a problem reported that can affect 2015 and newer Mercedes-Benz C-Class, GLS-Class, and E-Class owners. Collision assists malfunctions can be caused by something as simple as low battery voltage but can also indicate a faulty Engine Control Unit (ECU).
What does Collision Prevention Assist Plus Inoperative mean?
Error message Mercedes Collision Prevention Assist Plus, Inoperative See Owners Manual, means that the system has malfunctioned.
COLLISION PREVENTION ASSIST PLUS monitors the traffic in front of the vehicle. If it determines that you are about to hit another car, it will warn you with a message on the dashboard plus an audible sound. With collision assist disabled, your vehicle will no longer avoid a potential accident or automatically apply the brakes if you get too close to the vehicle in front of you.
Keep a safe distance from the vehicles in front of you and stay alert. If the warning happened only once and went away after restarting the vehicle, there may not be a reason to worry.
In most cases, you will experience one or two of these symptoms:
- Collision Prevention Assist Plus Inoperative message
- The vehicle loses power or won’t respond to the gas pedal.
- Transmission gets stuck in limp mode.
- The car won’t accelerate.
- Brake Assist warning message on dashboard
- Low temperatures: Extremely low or high outside temperatures can affect the system and cause it to malfunction.
- Interference: You may get Collision Prevention Assist Plus Inoperative error if you drive near sources of electromagnetic radiation, such as driving near a radio station.
- Battery Voltage: This message may come up if the battery voltage is too low. For example, if you turn off the engine but keep the ignition on while parked. Once you restart the car, you may be greeted with Collision Prevention Assist Plus Inoperative error message. Keeping the vehicle running idle or driving for about 30 minutes should charge the battery and reset this warning.
- Sensors: Sensors mounted at the front of the vehicle may stop working correctly if excessive dirt is at the front of the car.
- Engine Control Unit Pins: Poor Engine Control Unit (ECU) connections due to loose, dirty, or overspray pins can cause communication issues with the accelerator pedal (gas pedal), proximity sensors, and throttle actuator contacts. This may be the problem if a vehicle is scanned with a Mercedes STAR scanner, and fault codes are stored for implausible data or communication.
What to do?
While getting this error once a year may not be a concern, you want to get the system diagnosed if the Collision Prevention Assist Plus Inoperative error keeps coming up periodically.
Find a safe location. Pull over, turn off the ignition, wait 2 minutes, and restart the vehicle. If the battery is partially discharged, you may need to let the car idle for at least 15 minutes before resetting the error.
Inspect the front bumper for excessive dirt or ice. Clean the bumper by removing any dirt on the bumper or on the cross member that is mounted near the radiator.
The dealer can tell you if a software update is available to fix your Collision Prevention Assist Plus Inoperative problems. If your dealer cannot help, consider filing a complaint with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).
Diagnose Collision Assist Module
To diagnose this problem further, you will need a scanner to read and clear Mercedes-Benz’s specific fault codes. The YOUCANIC Full System Scanner can read and clear all control modules of the Mercedes-Benz.
We hope you find the Mercedes Collision Prevention Assist Plus Inoperative Message guide helpful. Check these troubleshooting and repair guides for more help on your Mercedes-Benz.