This guide provides instructions on how to charge a dead Cadillac battery. If your Cadillac battery died because you forgot the lights or the radio, it doesn’t mean you need to replace the battery. Charging the battery can bring your battery back to normal operation as long as there are no damaged cells.
What you will need
[amazon bestseller =”12 Volt Battery Charger” items=”1″]
- 12 Volt Battery Charger
A smart charger is recommended so that the battery doesn’t get overcharged.
- Park your Cadillac and set the parking brake. Remove the key from the ignition or keep it away from the car if you have a proximity key.
- Open the hood of your Cadillac by pulling the hood release under the dashboard. Once you hear the hood pop open, you can stop pulling on the cable. Move the front of the vehicle and lift the hood.
- Locate the battery. Some Cadillac vehicles have a plastic cover on top of the battery. Remove the screws that hold the battery cover in place. Remove the battery cover.
- You can also use the POSITIVE jump starting terminal to charge the battery. Charging the battery from this post in newer Cadillac vehicles is recommended.
- Connect the black clamp to the frame of the vehicle or engine. For example, you can use a strut tower or any unpainted bolt. Do not connect the black clamp to the positive battery post.
- Allow the battery to charge for a few hours. Monitor the vehicle for the first couple of hours, and do not leave the vehicle unattended. If the battery overheats during charging, disconnect the charger. We recommend using a Smart Charger to prevent the battery from overcharging.
It can take several hours to charge a dead Cadillac battery fully.
- Risk of fire! Do not leave the vehicle unattended.
This method will bring your Cadillac battery back to life and ensure that the longevity of your battery is not damaged.
Yes, you can always jump-start your Cadillac with a jump box or another car, but doing so can impact the battery’s life.
Using your alternator to charge a completely discharged battery can trigger low voltage fault codes in various modules. If you have the time, we recommend charging a dead Cadillac battery following the directions below.
Have questions about your car? Get assistance in our newly launched forum section. We’re here to provide support!