Is your Toyota oil pressure light illuminating? Learn how to fix the problem by adding engine oil to your Toyota. This guide provides step-by-step instructions on checking the Toyota engine oil level and adding engine oil if the level is low.
To check the engine oil level on a Toyota, the engine must be at operating temperature. Turn off the engine and wait at least five minutes for the oil to return to the oil pan. Check the oil level using the dipstick with a yellow handle. Ensure the vehicle is on a level spot to get an accurate reading.
What you will need
- A dry clean cloth
- Synthetic Engine Oil
- Park the Toyota on level ground, set the parking brakes, and turn off the engine.
- Wait for at least five minutes to allow the engine to cool down and the oil to return to the oil pan.
- Open the car’s hood by pulling the release lever under the left side of the dashboard, the driver’s side.
- Depress the safety lever at the front of the hood to open the hood.
- Locate the engine oil dipstick on the engine block. The oil dipstick typically has a yellow handle.
- Remove the dipstick and wipe it with a dry clean cloth.
- Note the MIN and MAX marks on the dipstick.
- Put the dipstick back into the engine and remove it again
- Check the markings on the dipstick. Two dots indicate the MIN and MAX marks. The level is correct if the level is between the MIN and MAX marks. If the oil level is below the minimum mark, then your oil level is too low, and you need to add oil. Continue to the next step.
- Remove the oil cap on top of the engine by turning it counterclockwise. If the cap has not been removed in a long time, it may be difficult to remove and may require force.
- Add one quart of recommended engine oil that meets the requirements listed in your owner’s manual.
- Wait 5 minutes and recheck the engine oil level using the dipstick.
Continue your journey only if the oil level is between the MIN and MAX marks. Do not continue to drive if the oil level is low or the oil light on the dashboard comes on. Do not overfill the engine with oil. The oil level should not be over the MAX mark. If the oil impression is above the maximum mark, you need to reduce the oil to keep the minimum between the MIN and MAX marks.
Access Factory Repair Manuals
The YOUCANIC Pro Manuals offer OEM Factory Repair Manuals with detailed steps and illustrations, comprehensive wiring diagrams, torque specifications, and access to technical service bulletins and OEM service information, mirroring dealership manuals.
Ideally, the oil level should fall within your dipstick’s minimum and maximum markings but closer to the maximum marking. This guide will help you check the engine oil level on a Toyota Corolla, Camry, Sienna, Rav4, Matrix, 4Runner, Highlander, and other models.
We hope you find the Check Toyota Oil Level & Add More Oil guide helpful. Check these troubleshooting and repair guides for more help on your Toyota.