If the engine coolant level is low, you will also find steps to learn how to add engine coolant. You must allow the engine to cool down before adding any engine coolant. This guide provides step-by-step instructions on how to check the engine coolant level on a Lexus vehicle.
What you will need
- Lexus Engine Antifreeze Coolant
- Mixed 50% antifreeze and 50% distilled water.
- The recommended type is listed in your owner’s manual.
- Risk of getting burned.
- Do not open a coolant cap if the engine is still hot.
- Park the vehicle, turn off the engine, and allow it to cool down.
- Start by pulling the release lever under the driver’s side’s dashboard.
- Press the safety lever under the hood and open the hood.
- Locate the engine coolant reservoir in the engine bay.
- Check the coolant level on the body of the coolant container. You should see a MAX (FULL) and MIN ( LOW) mark on the side of the container. The level should be between these two marks.
- Allow the engine to cool down, then slowly open the coolant container cap by turning it counterclockwise.
- Dilute coolant with water such that the mix is 50% water and 50% coolant( Ensure to verify that the coolant is not premixed, though. If this is the case, then you do not need to mix the coolant with water)
- Pour your coolant into the coolant container while watching the markings on the exterior of the plastic container.
- Observe the coolant for a minute or two to ensure no leaks.
- Reinstall the coolant cap.
Carefully monitor the engine temperature gauge on the instrument cluster.
It is not recommended to keep the engine running if it continues to overheat or keeps losing coolant. Check for coolant leaks. It is not normal to have to add engine coolant frequently. Have an auto mechanic diagnose and repair your vehicle.
We hope you find the Lexus Check or Add Engine Coolant guide helpful. Check these troubleshooting and repair guides for more help on your Lexus.
Have questions about your car? Get assistance in our newly launched forum section. We’re here to provide support!