Learn how to replace the spark plugs and ignition coils on Chrysler 3.6L Pentastar Engine. It is one of the most commonly used Chrysler engines.
What you will need
- (6) 3.6 Pentastar Engine Spark Plugs
- NGK Laser Iridium #1989
- Champion RER8ZWYCB4 – OEM
- Autolite XP Iridium #XP5701
- Ignition Coils Mopar 5149168AI
- OEM ignition coil for Chrysler 3.6L Pentastar engine. It is recommended to stay with original factory coils to avoid problems down the road. Interchange part number: UF648, C1791, 5C1848, E1148, 2505484816, Supersedes 5149168AH.
- 1/4″ Drive Ratchet
- 3″ Extension (1/4″)
- 10 mm Socket
- 8 mm socket
- 5/8″ Spark Plug Socket (3/8″)
- 12″ Extension (3/8″)
- 3/8″ Drive Ratchet
- Dielectric Grease
- Torque Wrench
- Allow the engine to cool down. Open the hood.
- Disconnect the negative battery terminal.
- Remove the engine cover by pulling it up. You don’t need to remove any screws to remove the engine cover.
- Disconnect the vacuum lines from the intake manifold.
- Disconnect the air intake from the throttle body. Disconnect any vacuum tubes connected to the air intake tube. Loosen the 8 mm hose clamp screw. Unplug the air temperature sensor near the throttle body.
- Remove the 8mm bolts (in some engines, these may require a T30 Torx bit) that secure the intake plenum (manifold) to the top of the engine. Seven bolts need to be removed. These are long bolts and don’t need to come out. Remove the two 10 mm bolts on the front. Remove the two 10 mm bolts on the back of the intake manifold. Remove one 13 mm bolt on the metal bracket and push the bracket back. Next, lift the intake manifold and move it aside. Cover the intake with a clean newspaper so that no foreign object or dirt falls inside the engine.
- Rubber Gaskets between the plenum and intake manifold.
When you remove the intake plenum, you will notice three rubber gaskets between the plenum and the intake manifold. These gaskets are typically integrated into the intake manifold part and don’t necessarily need to be removed. Please do not add any silicone or gasket sealant here, as it is not necessary. The most important thing is to tighten the intake plenum bolts to spec as described in the following steps.
- Remove the 10 mm bolts that hold the ignition coils in place. Unplug the electrical connectors from the ignition coils. The ignition coil was removed.
- Remove the old spark plugs. There are six plugs. The spark plug was removed.
- Be careful that NO foreign materials fall into the combustion chamber via the spark plug holes. Install the new spark plug by lowering them slowly. Note that all spark plugs that are iridium or platinum spark plug should come pre-gapped. You should always double-check them and make sure they are all gaped correctly before inserting them into the cylinder head. Use the extension and 5/8″ socket to tighten the new spark plugs. Tighten the spark plugs to 10 ft-lbs. If you are not using a torque wrench, you may want to get your spark plugs snug, then turn an extra half a turn.
- Add a coat of dielectric grease to the end of the coil pack boot. Insert the coil into the spark plug hole. Tighten the 10 mm bolt until they are snug, don’t over-tighten these bolts.
- Install the plenum. If you have new gaskets to install between the intake manifold and plenum, now is the time to replace them. Otherwise, go to the next step.
- Install the plenum in reverse order of removal. The seven bolts must be torqued to 7-9 Nm (5-6.6 lb/ft). These bolts must be torqued to spec.
- Next, tighten the two 10mm bolts in front of the plenum.
- Next, install the bracket on the other side of the plenum. Place the bracket and tighten the 10mm and 13mm bolts.
- Next, reattach the air intake tube to the throttle body.
- Reconnect any vacuum hose you disconnected earlier, such as a PCV hose and makeup line.
- Reconnect the wiring harness that you may have removed.
- Reinstall the engine cover by placing it on top of the engine and pressing it down until you hear it lock.
- Reconnect the negative engine terminal.
- Start up the engine and make sure the engine is running smoothly.
If you need to reset the check engine light on your dashboard, you will need the YOUCANIC Full System Scanner to clear the fault code after replacing the spark plugs of your Chrysler 3.6L Pentastar.
This 3.6L Chrysler engine is found in the following makes and models, and the instructions found on this page will help owners of:
- 2011-2016 Chrysler 200 (Models: LX, Touring, Limited, S, and C)
- 2011-present Chrysler 300 (Models: 300 Base, 300 S V6, 300 C w/ V6, 300 C Glacier Series w/ V6, 300 C Luxury Series w/ V6)
- 2011-2016 Chrysler Town & Country (Models: LX, Touring, Touring “L”, Limited, S, Limited Platinum)
- 2011-2014 Dodge Avenger (Models: SE V6, SXT, R/T)
- 2011-present Dodge Challenger (Models: SE, SXT, SXT +, SXT Rallye Edition)
- 2011-present Dodge Charger (Models: SE, SXT, SXT +, SXT Rallye Edition)
- 2011-present Dodge Durango (Models: Express, SXT, Crew, Crew Lux, Citadel, ACT Plus, Limited, R/T)
- 2011-2015 Dodge Grand Caravan (Models: SE American Value Package (AVP) or Canadian Value Package (CVP), SE, Crew, Crew Lux, SXT, R/T SE Plus, SXT Plus)
- 2011-present Dodge Journey (Models: SE American Value Package (AVP) or Canadian Value Package (CVP), Mainstreet, Crew, Crew Lux, SXT, R/T Crossroad)
- 2011-present Jeep Grand Cherokee (Models: Laredo “E,” Laredo “X,” 70TH Anniversary Edition, Trailhawk, Altitude Edition, Limited, Overland, Overland Summit Edition)
- 2011-2014 Volkswagen Routan (Models: S, SE, SEL, SEL Premium)
- 2012-present Fiat Freemont
- 2012-present Jeep Wrangler (Models: Sport, Unlimited Sport, Sport “S,” Unlimited Sport “S,” Freedom Edition, Unlimited Freedom Edition, Altitude Edition, Unlimited Altitude Edition, 70TH Anniversary Edition, Unlimited 70TH Anniversary Edition, Sahara, Unlimited Sahara, Moab, Unlimited Moab, Rubicon, Unlimited Rubicon, Rubicon 10TH Anniversary, Unlimited Rubicon 10TH Anniversary)
- 2012-2015 Lancia Voyager (Models: Limited)
- 2012-2014 Lancia Thema
- 2012-2015 Ram Cargo Van (Models: C/V Base, C/V Tradesman)
- 2013-present Ram 1500 (Models: Tradesman, SLT, HFE)
- 2014-present Ram ProMaster
- 2015-2016 Chrysler 200 (295-hp, 262-lb ft)
- The spark plug gap is 0.043″.
- Spark plug tightening torque is 13 lb/ft.
Spark plugs will come pre-gapped. We hope you find the Replace Engine Spark Plug & Ignition Coil Chrysler 3.6L Pentastar guide helpful. Check these troubleshooting and repair guides for more help on your Chrysler.