Cadillac Hood Lift Support Replacement DIY
Last Updated on Tuesday Apr 03, 2018
In this guide, you will learn how to replace the hood lift support (gas strut) on Cadillac ATS, CTS, XTS, CT6, XT5, Escalade, SRX, DTS, STS, BLS, XLR. Changing the hood support on any Cadillac is easy and takes less than half an hour. Follow the instructions or watch the video on how to change Cadillac gas-filled hood support.
The hood strut may be the culprit if you are experiencing any of the following problems.
- Cadillac hood won't stay up,
- Hood stays open for a few seconds then closes
- Hood won’t stay open by itself anymore
- Hood closes automatically
What you will need
- Cadillac Hood Lift Support
- Flat Screwdriver,
- Helper to support Cadillac hood
Open the hood of your Cadillac. The hood latch release is located under the dashboard on driver's side.
Have a friend hold up the hood of your Cadillac. If the hood falls while you are changing the hood lifts on your Cadillac, you can get seriously injured.
Secure the hood in upright position. Locate the hood struts that need to be replaced.
Locate the clip that locks the hood support to the ball joint.
Use a flat screwdriver to pry out the clip that locks the hood strut in place.
Follow the same procedure for the other end. Install the new hood support in reverse order.
Repeat this procedure for the other side.
- Handle gas-filled hood struts with care. The struts have pressurized gas inside which can cause injuries if it explodes.
- If your vehicle has to hood struts, replace both of them at the same time.
- Always have a helper support the hood while you change the supports.