Is your Hyundai Sonata backup light not working? Learn how to fix the problem by replacing the light bulb on your Hyundai Sonata. This guide provides instructions on how to replace your reverse light bulb on a 2011-2015 Hyundai Sonata.
When you shift to reverse, the reverse light will not illuminate.
What you will need
Access Factory Repair Manuals
The YOUCANIC Pro Manuals offer OEM Factory Repair Manuals with detailed steps and illustrations, comprehensive wiring diagrams, torque specifications, and access to technical service bulletins and OEM service information, mirroring dealership manuals.
- Back-Up Light 921
- Philips screwdriver
- Open the trunk.
- Detach the trunk panel cover by removing plastic retainers, use a Philips screwdriver, turn then pull the retainers out.
- You can find the reverse light socket location in the picture below.
- To detach the bulb socket, turn it by hand, then pull it out gently; take necessary precautions not to stretch the wire, which is locked in place by a holder. You may gently pull the wire out of the holder while removing the socket.
- Remove the light bulb by pulling it by hand with clean gloves to avoid scratching the bulb.
- Prepare the new light bulb.
- Install the new bulb by gently pressing it into the socket.
- Reinstall the socket by guiding the three (3) tabs while pushing it in; once in, lock the socket by turning it a bit.
- Reinstall the trunk panel.
- Secure the panel by re-installing plastic retainers.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is it legal for a car to have a reversing light?
They serve two purposes – to warn other road users you are about to reverse and to provide light if you are reversing in the dark.
How long will a new reverse light bulb last?
Reverse light bulbs are one of the least frequently employed lights on your car and often last much longer than other bulbs, even to 150,000km and beyond, before requiring replacement.
How much would it cost to replace the reverse light bulb?
It’s inexpensive, usually costing around $5 to $25 to replace, although some specialty models can be costlier.
We hope you find the Hyundai Sonata Back Up Light Bulb Replacement guide helpful. Check these troubleshooting and repair guides for more help on your Hyundai Sonata.