Mercedes-Benz W204 Door Glass Replacement DIY
Is your Mercedes-Benz door glass broken? Learn how to fix the problem by replacing the door glass of your Mercedes-Benz. This guide provides instructions on how to replace the door window glass on a C-Class Mercedes-Benz. In the tutorial, we will work on the driver’s side window; however, this can be applied to the passenger and rear windows.
This is a challenging repair and requires some more tools than what’s included in your essential toolkit. It is also important to follow proper safety procedures and wear personal protective equipment when performing this repair. Follow the video and our step-by-step guide so you can achieve your automotive repairs!
What you will need
- Drill and drill bit
- Plastic trim tool
- Rivet gun
- Torx bit set
- Replacement glass window
- Mercedes plastic fasteners/retainers
- Masking tape
- Start by disconnecting the battery. Airbags are inside the door panels; tampering with them while the electrical system has not been discharged could cause them to deploy and injure or even kill someone. After removing the battery, wait for fifteen minutes before beginning work.
- Wear thick gloves when working on the razor-thin metals of the door panel, as they can cut you if you are not careful. Also, be sure to wear safety glasses while drilling; metal shavings can fly into your eyes, damaging them.
- Next, tape the window to the top of the door with light-stick tape that will not damage the paint.
- Remove the interior door panel. Remove the plastic retainers around the outside of it using a trim tool. Then remove the two bolts in the center of the door panel.
- Pry the door panel carefully by hand by pulling it away from the door. Once the panel pops off of the metal door, pull up on the panel to get it off the window sill and above the door locks. Angle the panel so the back of it can be seen; the door latch cable will still be connected to the handle on the panel. Work the end of the cable out of its slot.
- Next, drill out the rivets around the perimeter of the inner metal door panel. Once all the pins have been drilled, the panel will move, but this panel has tracks on the back that mount to the glass.
- Use a Torx bit and ratchet to unbolt the track of the inner metal door panel from the glass. Work the glass out of the mounts, and reach your hand through the speaker hole if necessary to move the track. Pull the inner metal panel out, and pull it up and over the door lock to remove it.
- Remove the tape from the glass while carefully holding it through the opening of the inner door. Be careful not to drop it and slide the glass down. Turn the glass 90 degrees with the smaller end facing up, pull the glass straight up, and out the door.
- Reverse this procedure to reinstall new glass in your vehicle’s door. Be careful not to over-torque the mounts to the glass. Use a rivet gun and rivets to reinstall the inner metal door panel. Don’t forget to reinstall any door cables or plastic retainers! Reconnect the battery and test out your window. You are done!
Where can I get replacement glass for my vehicle?
Online is a great place to start, sites like eBay and Amazon will often have used glass for great prices. Salvage and junkyards are other great places to check if you want to save some bucks. New replacements can be found by calling glass shops and having them order them for you or by paying a premium at a dealership for new OEM glass.
Window bracket mount torque: ~10-13 ft-lbs
Mercedes-Benz C-Class W204 Chassis
Years: 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
We hope you find the Mercedes-Benz W204 Door Glass Replacement DIY guide helpful. Check these troubleshooting and repair guides for more help on your Mercedes-Benz.