Need to remove your Mercedes-Benz steering wheel for replacement? Learn how to remove your steering wheel by following the procedures below. This guide provides instructions on how to remove a Mercedes Benz C-Class W204.
A steering wheel is one of the parts of the car that is seldom replaced or removed; however, some instances warrant removing the steering wheel, such as when the horn is malfunctioning due to ground issues, etc. Please read our guide below if you need to remove the Mercedes Benz steering wheel.
What you will need
You will need a list of tools to remove and replace the steering wheel on a Mercedes-Benz.
- 10 mm Allen socket
- Torque Wrench
- Disconnect the battery and wait for fifteen minutes.
- Carefully remove the airbag following this guide.
- Using a 10mm socket and a ratchet, turn the bolt counterclockwise to remove the bolt while a steady helper holds the steering wheel.
- Mark the steering wheel and the steering column to identify the original position of the steering wheel relative to the steering column.
- Pull the steering wheel off the column.
- Reinstall the steering wheel in reverse order.
- Torque the steering wheel bolt to specification.
- Steering Wheel 10mm Hex Bolt: 80 Nm
Airbag Light On
If the airbag light is on after you replace the steering wheel, you can use the YOUCANIC Full System Scanner to clear the stored codes. This scanner can read and clear fault codes through every vehicle’s control module.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why would a steering wheel need to be replaced?
Your steering column should be replaced at the earliest sign of failure. This could also be a sign if you notice that it feels loose or clunky when you turn your steering wheel. You may also hear a squeaking or creaking noise when you turn your steering wheel.
You may also need to replace the steering wheel if it wears out.
What are the symptoms of a bad steering wheel?
The Steering Wheel Slips when Turning It
The Steering Wheel Continuesly Bouncing after Hitting a Speed Bump or Road Hole
The vehicle continually pulls to one side while driving.
We hope you find the Mercedes-Benz Remove the Steering Wheel guide helpful. Check these troubleshooting and repair guides for more help on your Mercedes-Benz.
Have questions about your car? Get assistance in our newly launched forum section. We’re here to provide support!