Tesla recommends checking the brake fluid level every two years. You should check the brake fluid immediately if you are getting a message on the dashboard warning you that the brake fluid level is low.
What you will need
How to check Tesla brake fluid level and top off the brake fluid:
- Park the Tesla on level ground.
- Press open on the touchscreen to open the hood (frunk).
- Go to the front of the vehicle and lift the hood.
- Remove the long black plastic cover near the bottom of the windshield by pulling it up. It has no screws, just clips.
- Use a clean cloth to wipe off any dirt or dust from the top of the brake fluid reservoir and cap.
- Check the brake fluid level by looking at the side of the brake fluid reservoir.
- If the level is low, rotate the cap counterclockwise to remove it.
- Add the recommended brake fluid to bring the just below the MAX mark. Do not overfill above the MAX line.
Do not spill brake fluid on the vehicle. Brake fluid is very corrosive. If any brake fluid drips on the body panels, rinse it off with water.
Most Tesla vehicles, such as Tesla Model 3, use DOT 3 Brake Fluid.
If you are not sure, look it up on the owner's manual.
The recommended Tesla brake fluid is also printed on top of the brake fluid reservoir.
You can use any brand brake fluid as long as it is the type printed on top of the brake fluid reservoir DOT3, DOT4, DOT5.1.
Make sure to use brake fluid from a sealed container.
Tesla Brake Fluid Low Warning
Brake fluid level low warning on a tesla means that the brake fluid level in the brake fluid reservoir is low, and you need to add brake fluid immediately.
As your brake pads start to wear out, the brake fluid is transferred from the brake reservoir to the brake calipers to make up for the space created by the worn brake pads.
You should not have to add brake fluid regularly. If your Tesla keeps losing brake fluid, have the vehicle checked by an auto mechanic immediately.
This warning should only come up after brake pads wear considerably, which can happen after two to four years.
If you get this message after the brake fluid level has been topped off, do not drive the vehicle. Call Tesla or your mechanic and ask for advice. Your vehicle may need to be towed.