Buick Enclave Liftgate Tail Light Replacement
Is your Buick Enclave liftgate tail light assembly broken? Learn how to remove and install the liftgate tail light assembly by following the procedures below.
This guide provides instructions on how to replace 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, and 2022 Buick Enclave tail light assembly. Replacing your damaged Buick liftgate taillight assembly is easy; you may follow the procedures to save on repairs.
What you will need
- 7mm socket
- Philips screwdriver
- Plastic trim remover
- Flathead screwdriver
- Buick Enclave taillight
- Open the liftgate to remove the plastic trims that conceal the inner taillight assembly retaining screws. Press the touchpad under the Buick emblem. You can also open the tailgate by pressing the release mechanism on the tailgate handle. There is also a release button on the driver’s console. And finally, the tailgate can be opened by using the keyfob.
- Pry off the upper plastic trim using a plastic trim remover to release the clips that hold the trim in place.
- Find the inner liftgate handle. This is the handle that you use when you are shutting the tailgate. You can find a small plastic cover conceals the only screw supporting the lower door trim panel. Twist off the cap and unscrew the single screw with a Philips screwdriver.
- Using the plastic trim remover, pry the lower door trim panel on every side until it comes off.
- Remove the nine 7mm nuts holding the outer chrome trim. These nuts can be accessed from the inner side of the liftgate. A rubber cover would hide nuts; you must use a small flathead screwdriver to uncover those. Using a 7mm socket and a handle of your choice, turn the handle counterclockwise to loosen and remove the nuts.
- Disconnect the three electrical connectors. One will be colored white, and the remaining two will be black. To disconnect the white connector, press the side tabs, then pull the connector off. Disconnect the black connector with the red account, push the red tab and then pull the connector off. To disconnect the other black connector (liftgate tail light connector), press the tabs, then pull the connector off.
- Lower the liftgate and pull off the outer chrome trim.
- If you remove the left taillight assembly, pull off the tail light from the right side. Pull off the tail light from the left side if you are removing the right tail light.
- You can now install the new liftgate taillight.
- Install the new liftgate tail light, install the taillight, install the side on the edge of the tailgate first, lock the tabs, and install the other end.
- Connect the outer chrome trim, then reinstall all the retaining nuts.
- Reconnect all the electrical connectors.
- Install the inner bottom plastic trim by pushing it until it locks.
- Reconnect the handle and install the screw.
- Reinstall the upper inner plastic trim the same way as the bottom trim.
You are done.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does it cost to replace a tail light assembly?
If you go to a dealership or auto body shop for your new tail light assembly, you will pay anywhere between $400 to $550 for each assembly. You can replace a Buick Enclave with a used tail light for about $100-$150.
How long does it take to replace the taillight?
Fortunately, tail light bulb replacement isn’t difficult and shouldn’t take you more than 45 minutes to an hour to complete.
Can a police officer lawfully pull me over for having a broken taillight?
Yes, you can get pulled over for having a broken taillight. Any driving infraction seen as a possible danger, such as having a broken or burned-out taillight, is a reasonable cause for a traffic stop. This is frustrating and inconvenient for drivers, but there are some safety concerns. If the other taillight were to become broken or burned out, the drivers behind you would have a hard time seeing you in the dark, and you could be held liable for an accident.
We hope you find the Buick Enclave Liftgate Tail Light Replacement guide helpful. Check these troubleshooting and repair guides for more help on your Buick.